1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for Orthogonal Trajectories

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which of the following is the set of orthogonal trajectories for the family indicated by

(x-c)^2 + y^2 = c^2

a). (x-c)^2 + y^2 = c^2

b). (x-c)^2 - y^2 = c^2

c). x^2 + (y-c)^2 = c^2

d). x^2 - (y-c)^2 = c^2

e). None of the above

2. Relevant equations

I think this is a homogenous equation after playing with the variables and substituting for C. I came up with:

y' = (y^2 - x^2)/xy

I then substitute y=xv after setting y' = 1/y' for the orthogonal trajectories and tried to solve the equation, but ended up with answers no where close to the choices.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi vorse! :smile:

Let's do it the easy way :wink:

draw a few curves, and that should show you the most obvious orthogonal trajectory …

which of a) to e) does that one lie on? :smile:

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    I was afraid you'd said I have to graph the equation; I can never make heads to tail of what I draw out.

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok … (x-c)2 + y2 = c2 is obviously a circle.

So, for each value of c, what is its centre, what is its radius, and what are the endpoints of its "horizontal" diameter?

6. Sep 16, 2009 #5
    Ok, I figured out the answer. I think it's answer choice C. It's just my answer has something like 2c as one of the constant, and I guess the answer choice reduce it down to just C. Btw, I didn't graph the equation; it is a homogenous equation and can be solve that way; just the algebra manipulation was confusing. Thanks for all the help PF. Thanks for trying to help me tiny tim.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  7. Sep 17, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup! :smile:

But a quick sketch always helps …

in this case, the original curves are the circles with centres on the x-axis, all touching each other (and the y-axis) at the origin.

Quickly hovering over this with a pencil shows that the orthogonal trajectories must approach the y-axis horizontally, and must all go through the origin …

which choice C does, since it's the circles with centres on the y-axis. :wink:

hmm … are those all of the orthogonal trajectories?

(btw, the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_trajectories" [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook