1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for the number of periods in this question

1. Jul 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I hope everyone is having a great day. The equation I am working with at the moment is:

(1+ (.2/x))^(x) = 1.21.

1.21 represents the final value, whereas 1 is the present value. I am trying to solve for x, which represents the number of periods necessary for the entity to grow from 1 to 1.21. I am a little stuck on the algebraic manipulations. If anyone could help that would be awesome, thanks!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted rooting the entire expression, as well as using the "e" and "ln" functions, but I am still having trouble isolating x.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no proper analytic solution to this type of equation.
    You can get numeric approximations to arbitrary precision.

4. Jul 4, 2015 #3
    Thank you for clarifying that, as I was pretty confused! Could you tell me where I could find my information on how to do that? Thanks again.

5. Jul 4, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"that" means getting numerical approximations? There are many methods, Wikipedia has a long article as usual. Newton's method is the easiest one that works reasonably well in most cases.

If you are just interested in a solution for this specific equation, you can guess some numbers, or use WolframAlpha to find solutions. In this case, the integer solution is exact.

6. Jul 4, 2015 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@qqpenguin12,

Notice that (1.1)2 = 1.21

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted