Solving for V in mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2mr^2(v/r)^2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jordash
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Jordash
Messages
64
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2mr^2(v/r)^2

I need to solve for v, I'm really stuck on Algebra can anyone show me the steps I'd take to solve for V?

Thanks

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Tried thinking it through but I'm getting stuck :( :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint:

[tex](\frac{v}{r})^2 = \frac{v^2}{r^2}[/tex]

also, if the variable m on the left hand side of the equation is the exact same m as on the right side, you can divide both sides by m to get rid of it.
 
Thanks for the help i'll try it, anyone know of resources that help you learn Algebra like this, it's really confusing to me.

Thanks
 
Try this site: http://www.wtv-zone.com/Angelaruth49/Algebra.html

teaches some basic algebra.
 
Cool thank you, And does anyone know a good site to learn Physics it's all going over my head in class.
 
Sorry to bash on Physics websites but so far every Physics site I've found has had terrible design, poor teaching and organization. (similar to my teaching) With the exception of this site. (Best Physics Site I've found). I've found great resources for learning on every other subject through Google except for Physics.