Calculating Velocity of a Sliding Box on an Inclined Ramp

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cglez1280
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gpe Homework
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Cglez1280
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A box of mass 6.2 kg slides 4.8 m down a ramp that is inclined 38 degrees to the horizontal. What is the velocity of the box right before it hits the ground?
Mass=6.2 Height=dsintheta? V=is what needs to be found theta=38

Homework Equations


GPE=mgh=mgdsin(theta)
KE=1/2mv^2
New equation:
GPE⋅+KE⋅=GPE
mgh⋅+1/2mv^2=mgh
1/2mv^2=mgh-mgh⋅
mv^2=2(mgh-mgh⋅)
V^2=2(mgh-mgh⋅)/m
v=√2(mgh-mgh⋅)/m

The Attempt at a Solution


i just want to see if my equations are correct. if it could be factored even more could someone tell me. like the two mgh's i feel like could be changed but I am not too sure. I know h is also h=dsin(θ) but would it be the same for the two since it will be different?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. I think you're trying to say something like:

The box falls a vertical height ##h = d\sin(\theta)## where ##d## is the length of the slope.

The loss of GPE is, therefore, ...
 
PeroK said:
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. I think you're trying to say something like:

The box falls a vertical height ##h = d\sin(\theta)## where ##d## is the length of the slope.

The loss of GPE is, therefore, ...
I'm sorry that's what I'm trying to say, I just need a little bit of help on this problem
 
Cglez1280 said:
I'm sorry that's what I'm trying to say, I just need a little bit of help on this problem
Can you do the next step? What is the loss in GPE?