Solving Frictionless Snow Physics Problem - How Far from Ramp?

• Thread starter feedmeister
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frictionless
In summary, the problem involves a skier starting at the top of a 60 degree slope, going through a 90 degree turn, and launching off a 3.0m-high ramp. The final velocity of the skier is found to be 4.08 m/s using the equation (1/2)mv_i^2 + mgh_i = (1/2)mv_f^2 + mgh_f. To figure out how far the skier goes, the angle of launch and ballistics equations must be considered.
feedmeister

Homework Statement

It's been a great day of new, frictionless snow. Julie starts at the top of the 60 ^\circ slope shown in the figure. View Figure At the bottom, a circular arc carries her through a 90 ^\circ turn, and she then launches off a 3.0-m-high ramp.
How far is her touchdown point from the base of the ramp?

knight_Figure_10_50.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex](1/2)mv_i^2 + mgh_i = (1/2)mv_f^2 + mgh_f[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I set mgh = 1/2 mv^2 + mgh
m(9.8)(25)=.5m(v^2) + m(9.8)(3)
I then got 4.08 m/s as the final velocity. But how do I figure out how far it goes if I don't know the acceleration or time?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Once the skier leaves the ramp, the rest is a ballistics problem. You found the speed at which they fly off; what is the angle to the horizontal at which they are launched? How do you figure out what happens to the skier after that?

Julie, for presenting this interesting problem. I can provide a response by breaking down the problem and using relevant equations to solve it.

Firstly, let's define the variables in the problem. We have the initial velocity (v_i) of Julie at the top of the slope, the height (h_i) at which she starts, the final velocity (v_f) at the bottom of the slope, and the height (h_f) at which she lands. We also know that the slope is at a 60-degree angle and the ramp is 3.0 meters high.

Now, we can use the equation you mentioned, which is the conservation of energy equation, to solve for the final velocity (v_f). This equation states that the initial kinetic energy (1/2 mv_i^2) plus the initial potential energy (mgh_i) is equal to the final kinetic energy (1/2 mv_f^2) plus the final potential energy (mgh_f). In this case, we can assume that the initial potential energy is equal to zero since Julie starts at the top of the slope. Therefore, our equation becomes:

(1/2)mv_i^2 = (1/2)mv_f^2 + mgh_f

Substituting the values we know, we get:

(1/2)m(v_i^2 - v_f^2) = mgh_f

Solving for v_f, we get:

v_f = √(v_i^2 - 2gh_f)

Now, we can use this value of v_f to solve for the distance (d) travelled by Julie. We know that the distance travelled is equal to the average velocity (v_avg) multiplied by the time (t) taken to travel that distance. In this case, the average velocity is equal to (v_i + v_f)/2. Therefore, our equation becomes:

d = v_avg * t = (v_i + v_f)/2 * t

Substituting the values we know, we get:

d = [(v_i + √(v_i^2 - 2gh_f))/2] * t

Now, we need to find the value of t. We can use the equation of motion in the vertical direction, which states that the final velocity (v_f) is equal to the initial velocity (v_i) plus the acceleration (a) multiplied by the time (t). In

Related to Solving Frictionless Snow Physics Problem - How Far from Ramp?

1. What is a frictionless snow physics problem?

A frictionless snow physics problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object on a surface with no friction. In this case, the surface is covered in snow, which reduces friction and allows the object to slide more easily.

2. How is the distance from a ramp calculated in a frictionless snow physics problem?

The distance from a ramp in a frictionless snow physics problem is calculated using the equations of motion. These equations take into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time of the object as it moves down the ramp and across the frictionless surface.

3. What factors affect the distance an object travels in a frictionless snow physics problem?

The distance an object travels in a frictionless snow physics problem is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the object, the angle of the ramp, and the length of the ramp. The mass and shape of the object may also have an impact on its motion.

4. How does the angle of the ramp affect the distance an object travels in a frictionless snow physics problem?

The angle of the ramp has a significant impact on the distance an object travels in a frictionless snow physics problem. A steeper ramp will result in a greater acceleration and therefore a longer distance traveled. However, if the ramp is too steep, the object may reach a maximum velocity and not travel any further.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated in a real-world frictionless snow physics problem?

In theory, friction can be completely eliminated in a frictionless snow physics problem. However, in the real world, there will always be some level of friction present. Snow, while reducing friction compared to other surfaces, still has some friction. Additionally, air resistance and other external factors may affect the motion of the object in ways that cannot be completely accounted for in a theoretical frictionless scenario.