Solving hyperbolic trigonometric equations

In summary, the real solution for ##x## of the equation $$tanhx=cosechx$$ can be expressed in the form ##x=ln(a \pm \sqrt{a})## where ##a=\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}##. This is found by using the quadratic formula and taking logs of both sides.
scotty_le_b

Homework Statement

Show that the real solution ##x## of $$tanhx=cosechx$$ can be written in the form ##x=ln(a \pm \sqrt{a})## and find an explicit value for ##a##.

Homework Equations

$$cosh^{2}x-sinh^{2}x=1$$
$$coshx=\frac{e^{x}+e^{-x}}{2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I reduced the original equation $$tanhx=cosechx$$ to $$0=cosh^{2}x-coshx-1$$ I used the quadratic formula to get ##coshx= \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}##. I discarded ##\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}## since ##coshx## must be greater than 0. I then expanded the solution to $$e^{x}+e^{-x}=1+ \sqrt{5}$$ I rearranged this to a quadratic in ##e^{x}## and solved using the quadratic formula and then took logs of both sides to get: $$x=ln\Bigg(\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2} \pm \sqrt{\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}}\Bigg)$$ Obviously from this the solution can be expressed in the form ##x=ln(a \pm \sqrt{a})## when ##a= \frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}##. I feel like this is cheating though since the question asks me to show the solution can be expressed in a specific form and then find the solution. Is it acceptable to find the solution and show it can be expressed in that form even with the wording of the question? I couldn't think of any other way to show the solution could be expressed in that form without explicitly solving it first.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hardly cheating. I suspect it's just the wording of the question.

1. What is a hyperbolic trigonometric equation?

A hyperbolic trigonometric equation is a mathematical equation that involves hyperbolic functions, such as sinh, cosh, and tanh, and their inverse functions. These functions are used to model and solve problems in various areas of mathematics and science.

2. How do you solve a hyperbolic trigonometric equation?

To solve a hyperbolic trigonometric equation, you can use various techniques such as substitution, graphing, and algebraic manipulation. The specific method used will depend on the structure and complexity of the equation.

3. What are the applications of hyperbolic trigonometric equations?

Hyperbolic trigonometric equations have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and solve problems involving exponential growth and decay, damping in oscillating systems, and heat transfer, among others.

4. What are the common difficulties in solving hyperbolic trigonometric equations?

Some common difficulties in solving hyperbolic trigonometric equations include identifying the correct substitution or manipulation method, dealing with complex numbers, and handling multiple solutions or infinite solutions. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and use appropriate techniques to arrive at the correct solution.

5. Are there any special properties of hyperbolic trigonometric equations?

Yes, hyperbolic trigonometric equations have some unique properties that are different from ordinary trigonometric equations. For example, the hyperbolic sine and cosine functions are closely related, and the identities for these functions differ from the identities for ordinary sine and cosine. Additionally, hyperbolic equations often have symmetrical solutions, making it important to consider both positive and negative values in the solution process.