1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving hyperbolic trigonometric equations

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the real solution ##x## of $$tanhx=cosechx$$ can be written in the form ##x=ln(a \pm \sqrt{a})## and find an explicit value for ##a##.

2. Relevant equations
    $$cosh^{2}x-sinh^{2}x=1$$
    $$coshx=\frac{e^{x}+e^{-x}}{2}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I reduced the original equation $$tanhx=cosechx$$ to $$0=cosh^{2}x-coshx-1$$ I used the quadratic formula to get ##coshx= \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}##. I discarded ##\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}## since ##coshx## must be greater than 0. I then expanded the solution to $$e^{x}+e^{-x}=1+ \sqrt{5}$$ I rearranged this to a quadratic in ##e^{x}## and solved using the quadratic formula and then took logs of both sides to get: $$x=ln\Bigg(\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2} \pm \sqrt{\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}}\Bigg)$$ Obviously from this the solution can be expressed in the form ##x=ln(a \pm \sqrt{a})## when ##a= \frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}##. I feel like this is cheating though since the question asks me to show the solution can be expressed in a specific form and then find the solution. Is it acceptable to find the solution and show it can be expressed in that form even with the wording of the question? I couldn't think of any other way to show the solution could be expressed in that form without explicitly solving it first.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's hardly cheating. I suspect it's just the wording of the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted