Solving Johnny's Swing Height Puzzle: Can You Get 1.4 Meters?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Speedking96
Messages
104
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Johnny is swinging (on a swing) at a velocity of 4m/s when he is 56 cm above the ground. What is his maximum height?

Johnny is 45 Kg.

Homework Equations



Pe = mgh
Ke= (1/2)(m* v^2)
Total energy= Pe + Ke

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried setting the Ke equal to the Pe, but I get 0.81 Meters. However, I know that the correct answer is around 1.4 Meters.

I would like to know how to get 1.4 Meters.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At 45cm he has some PE and some KE.
At the max height all of that is converted into PE.

I get 1.37m if I use g = 9.81

I suggest you show your working.
 
Okay. So, what you are saying is:

Pe: (9.81)(45)(0.56) + Ke: (1/2)(45)(4^2)

Then you plug all of that in for Pe and solve for height.

Thanks a bunch.