Solving linear 2nd order IVP non-constant coefficient

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation with a non-constant coefficient and a singularity at the beginning. Various methods, including numerical and analytic, are discussed and suggested. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use a numerical approach by proposing a terminal value and integrating backwards towards the beginning.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Generally speaking, how would one solve $$f''-a(x) f = 0 : f(0)=0,f'(0)=1$$
Or if you could point me to a source that would be awesome too!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that a(x) is known, I'd solve it numerically with Runge-Kutta or something similar.

Likes member 428835
Quick question (I hope it's quick). Variable ##x## is arc-length of a given in parametric form. If it's okay with you, I'll switch variables so that arc-length is ##s##: $$f''(s) + a(s) f(s) = 0$$ where ##a(s)## is the square of the curvature of a line in the ##x-z## plane given in parametric form here $$x(s) = \frac{1}{c} \sin(c s)\\ z(s) = \frac{1}{c}(1- \cos(c s))$$
where ##c## is a constant. One formula of curvature is ##|\hat T'(s)|/|\hat r'(s)|## where ##\hat T## is the unit tangent vector to a curve given in parametric for as ##\hat r(t)##. Computing this in Mathematica gives ##a(s) = c/(2\sin(cs/2))##. Then the IVP is $$f''(s) + \frac{c}{2\sin(cs/2)} f(s) = 0$$ Any ideas for an analytic solution?

Now that you have changed notations, what do the primes mean? Is (') =d()/dx or is (') = d()/ds?

Dr.D said:
Now that you have changed notations, what do the primes mean? Is (') =d()/dx or is (') = d()/ds?
Sorry, prime denotes ##d/ds##. I tried letting ##f = \exp(u(s))## but that gives a non-linear 1st order IVP...

I still suggest obtaining a numerical solution first. This will tell you general shape of the solution, and from there educated guesses may give you a closed-form solution.

Likes member 428835
Thanks!

What about using numerical method like Runge-Kutta 4?

Nguyen Son said:
What about using numerical method like Runge-Kutta 4?
Yea that's what Dr.D suggested. I was just wondering if an analytic solution existed.

Dr.D said:
I still suggest obtaining a numerical solution first. This will tell you general shape of the solution, and from there educated guesses may give you a closed-form solution.
I wrote an RK4 technique, but I get no good response (I check the code on IVPs with analytic solutions and it works). The non-constant coefficient has a singularity at ##s=0##; how would you subvert this?

i offer a textbook of ode https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JZXHplbM7tIBWYOVxUPx5Oa0Q-L0VC55
you can use "reduction of order method" page 242.

Likes Nguyen Son
Jone Oldman said:
i offer a textbook of ode https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JZXHplbM7tIBWYOVxUPx5Oa0Q-L0VC55
you can use "reduction of order method" page 242.
Hi Jone Oldman, and welcome to PF! Reduction of order requires knowing one solution though, which I don't know.

The form you give in post #3 should tell you right away that there will be difficulties due to a singularity at the beginning. This is not "just a simple" IVP at all, but rather a very complex differential equation that will require special handling.

Dr.D said:
The form you give in post #3 should tell you right away that there will be difficulties due to a singularity at the beginning. This is not "just a simple" IVP at all, but rather a very complex differential equation that will require special handling.
Any ideas on how to begin?

One possibility for a numerical approach is to propose a terminal value, and integrate backwards toward the beginning to see where that takes you. Obviously where it takes you depends in most cases on the terminal value, but you could learn something about the nature of the solution this way.

Dr.D said:
One possibility for a numerical approach is to propose a terminal value, and integrate backwards toward the beginning to see where that takes you. Obviously where it takes you depends in most cases on the terminal value, but you could learn something about the nature of the solution this way.
Thanks, I'll play around with it!

What is a linear 2nd order IVP with non-constant coefficient?

A linear 2nd order IVP (initial value problem) with non-constant coefficient is a differential equation that involves a second derivative and a variable coefficient that is not a constant. It is typically written in the form of y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = r(x), where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x and r(x) is a function of x. The initial conditions for an IVP specify the values of y and y' at a given point.

What is the general process for solving a linear 2nd order IVP with non-constant coefficient?

The general process for solving a linear 2nd order IVP with non-constant coefficient involves three steps: 1) finding the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation, 2) finding a particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters, and 3) using the initial conditions to determine the specific values of any arbitrary constants in the general solution.

What is the difference between the method of undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a method for finding a particular solution to a non-homogeneous linear differential equation by assuming a solution of a specific form and solving for the coefficients. Variation of parameters, on the other hand, involves finding a particular solution by using a variation of the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation. It involves finding a new set of functions that satisfy the differential equation and the initial conditions.

What are some common techniques for finding the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation?

Some common techniques for finding the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation include the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and the method of reduction of order. The method of undetermined coefficients is typically used when the non-homogeneous term has a specific form (e.g. a polynomial or trigonometric function). Variation of parameters is used when the non-homogeneous term is more complicated and cannot be easily guessed. The method of reduction of order is used when the differential equation can be reduced to a 1st order equation by making a substitution.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a linear 2nd order IVP with non-constant coefficient?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a linear 2nd order IVP with non-constant coefficient include forgetting to include the arbitrary constants in the general solution, making mistakes when using integration by parts in variation of parameters, and forgetting to check for complex roots when using the method of undetermined coefficients. It is also important to carefully follow the steps and double check all calculations to avoid any errors.