Solving ODE Step function with Laplace

In summary, the student is struggling to solve an equation relating y and f (t), but has found the laplace transform and found that y(t) = 1/16 - sin(4t)/64 - (sin(4t)*u(t-\pi)). However, they are stuck on the final step of solving for y(t). Any help would be appreciated.
xVladx

Homework Statement

Hi all came across this problem whilst doing some revision and i can't work out the answer

Solve the following equation with laplace transformation

Homework Equations

y''+16y = f(t) = { 1 t < pi ] with y(0) = 0 and y'(0) = 0
_____________{ 0 t >= pi ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the laplace transform and get:

Y(s) = (1/16s)-(1/(16(s^2+4^2)))-(e^(-pi*s)/(s^2+4^2))

I am kind of stuck when doing the final step since never delt with this type of problem and the sine/cosine transforms.

I come up with y(t)=1/16 - sin(4t)/64 - (sin(4t)* u(t - pi)) /16 but not sure if it is right or how to get it back to the final form.

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
xVladx said:
I find the laplace transform and get:

Show us your work to get to this point. It doesn't look right to me.

Take Laplace of both sides:
s^2Y(s) -sy(0)-y'(0) +16Y= 1/s - e^-pi*s
y(0) = y'(0) = 0
Y(s^2+16)=1/s - e^-pi*s
Y = [1/s(s^2+16)] - e^-pi*s/(s^2+16)
Using partial fractions [1/s(s^2+16)] = 1/16s - 1/16(s^2+4^2)

Also I've seen in other posts that some people can post the equation writing similar to the way it is done in MS word, how do you do that? would be much neater then

You took the Laplace transform of the righthand side incorrectly. In the time domain, you can write it as 1-u(t-pi). You didn't calculate the transform of the second term correctly.

Regarding posting equations, start here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951

Last edited by a moderator:
xVladx said:
Also I've seen in other posts that some people can post the equation writing similar to the way it is done in MS word, how do you do that? would be much neater then

Nevermind this I found out about the Latex thing. Just going to restate the problem to give it a try

[itex]\ddot{y}[/itex] + 16y = f(t) = [itex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}1&t<{\pi}\\0 & t\geq{\pi}\end{array}\right][/itex] with y(0) = 0 and [itex]\dot{y}[/itex](0) = 0

Should I have gotten Laplace [itex](1-u(t-\pi))[/itex] = [itex]\LARGE\frac{1}{s}-\frac{e^{-\pi s}}{s}[/itex]

Yes.

Would my answer then be
y(t) = [itex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}\frac{1}{16}-\frac{1}{64\sin(4t)}&t<{\pi}\\0 & t\geq{\pi}\end{array}\right][/itex]

No, that's not correct.

OK guess I am stuck then.

Recheck your partial fractions decomposition of

[tex]\frac{1}{s(s^2+16)}[/tex]

And how did you end up with the sine in the denominator?

Hmm mistyped my Latex, I ment:

y(t) = [itex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}\frac{1}{16}-\frac{\cos(4t)}{16}&t<{\pi}\\0 & t\geq{\pi}\end{array}\right][/itex][/QUOTE]

You got it.

Thanks very much for you help! :)

1. How do you solve an ODE with a step function using Laplace?

To solve an ODE with a step function using Laplace, you can follow these steps:

• Take the Laplace transform of the entire equation.
  • Use the properties of Laplace transforms to simplify the equation.
  • Apply the initial conditions to the transformed equation.
  • Inverse Laplace transform the simplified equation to get the solution.

2. What is a step function in ODE?

A step function in ODE is a function that abruptly changes its value at a specific point. This point is called the step point and it can be represented as a Heaviside function in mathematical notation. Step functions are commonly used to model systems with sudden changes or discontinuities.

3. Can Laplace transform be used to solve ODE with non-constant coefficients?

Yes, Laplace transform can be used to solve ODE with non-constant coefficients. However, the process becomes more complex and may require additional steps to solve the transformed equation. In some cases, it may be necessary to use partial fraction decomposition or other techniques to simplify the equation before inverting the Laplace transform.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transform to solve ODE?

While Laplace transform is a powerful tool for solving ODEs, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can only be used for linear ODEs, meaning that the dependent variable and its derivatives must appear in the equation in a linear fashion. Additionally, Laplace transform may not be suitable for solving ODEs with discontinuous or singular solutions.

5. Can Laplace transform be used for numerical solutions of ODE?

Yes, Laplace transform can be used for numerical solutions of ODEs. However, it is not the most efficient method for numerical solutions as it requires additional steps to transform and inverse transform the equation. Other numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods may be more suitable for finding numerical solutions of ODEs.