Having trouble with the Laplace Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using Laplace Transforms and obtaining the solution $1 - 2e^{-2t} + 2te^{-2t}$. The use of $\delta$ in the solution is due to the property of the Laplace Transform with the Dirac delta function.
shamieh
Solve by Laplace Transforms.

$y'' + 4y' + 4y = e^t$ $y(0) = 1$, $y'(0) = 0$So I've got

$s^2Y - s + 4sY - 1 + 4Y = \frac{1}{s+1}$

then I got:
$ Y = \frac{s^2+2s+2}{(s+2)(s+2)}$

Now here is where I am getting lost on the partial fraction decomposition..

I've got $s^2+2s+2 = A(s+2) + B$ I got $A =1$ but can't remember what to do to get $B$ .. is $B=0$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I solved it using polynomial long division which really sucked.

But I ended up with $1 - 2e^{-2t} + 2te^{-2t}$ but why does wolphram alpha replace the 1 with a $\delta$?

shamieh said:
Nevermind, I solved it using polynomial long division which really sucked.

But I ended up with $1 - 2e^{-2t} + 2te^{-2t}$ but why does wolphram alpha replace the 1 with a $\delta$?

... because is ...

$\displaystyle \mathcal {L} \{ \delta (t) \} = \int_{0}^{\infty} \delta (t)\ e^{- s\ t}\ d t = e^{0} = 1 \implies \mathcal{L}^{-1} \{ 1\} = \delta(t)\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

1. What is the Laplace Transform and when is it used in science?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve differential equations and analyze the behavior of systems in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to model and study systems with time-varying inputs and outputs.

2. Why do I have trouble understanding the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform can be challenging to understand because it involves complex numbers and requires a solid understanding of calculus. It also has many properties and theorems that can be confusing to grasp at first. It is important to have a strong foundation in math and practice solving problems to improve understanding.

3. How can I improve my skills in using the Laplace Transform?

The best way to improve your skills in using the Laplace Transform is to practice solving problems and understanding the underlying concepts. There are also many online resources, such as tutorials and practice exercises, that can help you improve your understanding and skills.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Laplace Transform?

One common mistake when using the Laplace Transform is forgetting to apply the initial conditions or boundary conditions correctly. It is also important to be careful when performing algebraic manipulations with complex numbers. It is always a good idea to double-check your calculations and solutions to avoid errors.

5. Can the Laplace Transform be used for any type of function?

The Laplace Transform can be used for a wide range of functions, including exponential, trigonometric, and polynomial functions. However, it may not be suitable for more complicated or discontinuous functions. In those cases, other methods, such as the Fourier Transform, may be more appropriate.