Solving pde with gaussian function

In summary, the equation is nonlinear and has a mixed partial derivative, so it might be hard to solve analytically.
nigels
I just developed this model to describe an ecological process but have trouble solving the equation. My first question is: is the form even analytically solvable? And if so, what steps / references should I resort to? 'a', 'delta' and 'sigma' are all constants.

*Current reference book: Haberman (2003)

Attachments

• eq.jpg
    eq.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if it's analytically solvable, but one simplification you can make is to note that [itex]y(x,t)\delta(1-y(x,t)) = \delta(1-y(x,t))[/itex], as the delta function enforces y = 1, so for anything multiplying the delta function that has y in it you can set y to 1.

The fact that you have y inside the delta function does not give me any confidence that you can find an analytic solution to this. I would consider making some sort of approximation that gets you the same qualitative behavior but isn't quite as complicated. (You may still be forced to solve it numerically, however).

Last edited:
Sorry, [tex]\delta[/tex] here doesn't refer to the delta function but instead just a constant (decay rate of short-term memory). Would that make things quite different?

Ah, yes, that makes things very different. Sorry I missed that [itex]\delta[/itex] is a constant and not the delta function.

In that case, you might be able to find an analytical solution, but it's still hard because the equation is non-linear (and has a mixed partial derivative):

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial y(x,t)}{\partial t} - \delta y(x,t)(1-y(x,t)) = a\exp\left(-\frac{x^2}{2\sigma}\right)[/tex]

If [itex]\delta[/itex] is small you could perhaps do an expansion in powers of delta:

[tex]y(x,t) = y_0(x,t) + \delta y_1(x,t) + \delta^2 y_2(x,t) + \dots[/tex]

Right now I'm not sure if there's a good way to get a closed form solution for any delta.

You can get rid of the mixed derivative by making the change of variable x = u + v and t = u - v, which is going to leave you with a wave equation plus some extra terms, which would be a more standard form.

Now still not sure how to solve it after that, the nonlinear term makes it quite tricky, although you could try to get a solution for delta = 0 (inhomogeneous wave equation) and use that as a starting point to get to a more general solution. However, the solution for delta = 0 will already include an integral over the Gaussian - i.e. the error function. So even if you can get an analytical solution for the whole thing, it's going to look quite nasty including integrals over erf etc.

1. How do I solve a PDE using a Gaussian function?

To solve a PDE using a Gaussian function, you first need to substitute the Gaussian function into the PDE and then use boundary conditions to determine the constants in the function. You can then use the resulting equation to solve for the desired variable.

2. What is a Gaussian function?

A Gaussian function is a type of mathematical function that is characterized by a bell-shaped curve. It is commonly used in statistics and probability to represent normal distributions.

3. What are the advantages of using a Gaussian function to solve PDEs?

Using a Gaussian function to solve PDEs offers several advantages, including providing an analytical solution, being relatively easy to manipulate and integrate, and having a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

4. What are the limitations of using a Gaussian function to solve PDEs?

One limitation of using a Gaussian function to solve PDEs is that it may not always provide an accurate representation of the physical system being modeled. Additionally, the parameters in the Gaussian function may be difficult to determine in some cases, leading to less precise solutions.

5. Can a Gaussian function be used to solve all types of PDEs?

No, a Gaussian function may not be suitable for solving all types of PDEs. It is best suited for solving linear PDEs with constant coefficients. For more complex PDEs, other methods such as numerical techniques may be more effective.