Solving Possion's equation: electrostatic potential

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with a calculation and the use of boundary conditions. The person is concerned about potential having negative signs and not sure if this is expected. The conversation then goes on to discuss the correct use of constants and the need for four boundary conditions to solve for four unknown constants. The use of the boundary conditions is demonstrated through equations and the conversation ends with the person expressing confidence in their solution for the electric field and verifying boundary conditions and limiting cases.
LocationX
I have the problem and my work uploaded to this webpage. I believe I have the general idea down, but I'm just afraid that I've done a careless calculation and missed a minus sign somewhere. I feel that my results have a lot of negative signs, making the potential constantly negative. I'm not sure if this is what is expected. Any help is appreciated.

http://sites.google.com/site/physicsinc/phy

Physics news on Phys.org
You've made an error when applying the boundary conditions:

[tex]{\varphi}_{I}(R)={\varphi}_{II}(R), \quad {\varphi}_{II}(R+d)={\varphi}_{III}(R+d)[/tex]

You've for some reason interchanged your constants [itex]C_0[/itex] and [itex]C_1[/itex] with [itex]C_3[/itex] and [itex]C_4[/itex]; you can't do this.

You have 4 unknown constants to solve for, so you will need 4 boundary conditions. Luckily, [itex]\varphi[/itex] isn't the only thing that is continuous; [itex]\vec{E}(r)=\vec{\nabla} \varphi[/itex] must be continuous as well. This should give you your other two boundary conditions.

[tex]{\varphi}_{I}(r)=C_1^I[/tex]
[tex]{\varphi}_{II}(r)=-\frac{4 \pi r^2 \rho }{6} + \frac{C_0^II}{r}+C_1^II[/tex]
[tex]{\varphi}_{III}(r)=\frac{C_0^{III}}{r}[/tex]

[tex]{\varphi}_{I}(R)=C_1^I[/tex]
[tex]{\varphi}_{II}(R)=-\frac{4 \pi R^2 \rho }{6} + \frac{C_0^II}{R}+C_1^II[/tex]
[tex]{\varphi}_{II}(R+d)=-\frac{4 \pi (R+d)^2 \rho}{6} + \frac{C_0^II}{R+d}+C_1^II[/tex]
[tex]{\varphi}_{III}(R+d)=\frac{C_0^{III}}{R+d}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d {\varphi}_{I}{dr} |_{r=R} = 0 [/tex]
[tex]\frac{d {\varphi}_{II}{dr} |_{r=R} = \frac{8 \pi R \rho }{6} - \frac{C_0^{II}}{R^2} [/tex]
[tex]\frac{d {\varphi}_{II}{dr} |_{r=R+d} = \frac{8 \pi (R+d) \rho }{6} - \frac{C_0^{II}}{(R+d)^2} [/tex]
[tex]\frac{d {\varphi}_{III}{dr} |_{r=R+d} = - \frac{C_0^{III}}{(R+d)^2} [/tex]

We use the 4 B.C.:

[tex]{\varphi}_{I}(R) = [tex]{\varphi}_{II}(R) [/tex]
[tex]{\varphi}_{II}(R+d) = {\varphi}_{III}(R+d) [/tex]
[tex]\frac{d {\varphi}_{I}{dr} |_{r=R} = \frac{d {\varphi}_II}{dr} |_{r=R} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{d {\varphi}_{II}{dr} |_{r=R+d} = \frac{d {\varphi}_III}{dr} |_{r=R+d} [/tex]

I've already caught 2 minus sign errors... but this is how I'm setting up everything to solve for the 4 constants.

Why not write it as:

[tex]{\varphi}_{I}(r)=C_0[/tex][tex]{\varphi}_{III}(r)=\frac{C_1}{r}[/tex]

[tex]{\varphi}_{II}(r)=-\frac{4 \pi r^2 \rho }{6} + \frac{C_2}{r}+C_3[/tex]

to get rid of those cumbersome superscripts and make it a little easier to work with?

You are still missing a couple of negative signs:

[tex]\frac{d {\varphi}_{II}}{dr} |_{r=R} = -\frac{8 \pi R \rho }{6} - \frac{C_0^{II}}{R^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d {\varphi}_{II}}{dr} |_{r=R+d} = -\frac{8 \pi (R+d) \rho }{6} - \frac{C_0^{II}}{(R+d)^2} [/tex]

What do you get for your constants now?

You are missing a negative sign for C_2, which is affecting your other constants.

thanks for the help, I'm confident that i do not have any more errors after solving for the e-field and checking the BC and limiting cases

1. What is Poisson's equation and why is it important in electrostatics?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical equation that relates the electric potential to the charge distribution in a given system. It is an important tool in electrostatics as it allows us to calculate the electric potential at any point in space based on the charge distribution, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges.

2. How is Poisson's equation solved?

Poisson's equation can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as the Green's function method, the finite difference method, or the finite element method. These methods involve breaking down the equation into smaller, solvable parts and using numerical techniques to solve for the electric potential at each point in space.

3. What are the boundary conditions for solving Poisson's equation?

The boundary conditions for solving Poisson's equation are the values of the electric potential at the boundaries of the system. These values are either known or can be determined based on the physical properties of the system. They are crucial in solving the equation as they provide the necessary constraints for finding the unique solution.

4. How does solving Poisson's equation relate to finding the electric field?

The electric field is directly related to the electric potential by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field and V is the electric potential. Therefore, by solving Poisson's equation for the electric potential, the electric field can be determined at any point in space.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Poisson's equation in electrostatics?

Poisson's equation is used in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. Some common applications include designing and optimizing electronic devices, studying the behavior of ions in electrolytic solutions, and predicting the behavior of charged particles in plasma physics.