Solving rotational motion without torque

In summary: So you agree that the KE is 171 J?Which is indeed about 2.618/0.5. So you agree that the KE is 171 J?Yes, that's what I got too.Yes, that's what I got too.In summary, a potter's wheel with a radius of 0.500 m and a mass of 100 kg is rotating freely at 50.0 rev/min. It can be stopped in 6.00 s by applying a radially inward force of 70.0 N with a wet rag against the rim. The effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and rag is found to be 0.623. However, this is double the correct answer due to
Zynoakib

Homework Statement

A potter’s wheel—a thick stone disk of radius 0.500 m
and mass 100 kg—is freely rotating at 50.0 rev/min.
The potter can stop the wheel in 6.00 s by pressing a
wet rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward
force of 70.0 N. Find the effective coefficient of kinetic
friction between wheel and rag

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually, I could get the answer using angular acceleration and torque, but I could do the same thing with Newtonian Laws and I want to know why.

Tangential velocity of the wheel:
50 rev/ min = 2.618 m/s

u = 2.618 m/s, v = 0, a = ?, t = 6
v = u + at
0 = 2.618 + 6a
a = 0.436 m/s^2

Deceleration force
F = ma = (100)(0.436) = 43.6N

The friction coefficient
43.6 = (coefficient)(70)
coefficient = 0.623, which is exactly the double of the correct answer.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
not all of the mass is moving at the calculated deceleration (or speed)

andrevdh said:
not all of the mass is moving at the calculated deceleration (or speed)

Why and how is that? The whole wheel is spinning.

Zynoakib said:
Why and how is that? The whole wheel is spinning.
It's all moving at the same angular speed, but you have taken it all to be moving at the same linear speed. What equation relates the two?

haruspex said:
It's all moving at the same angular speed, but you have taken it all to be moving at the same linear speed. What equation relates the two?
v = rw?

Do you mean I can only use angular velocity to calculate angular motion and Newtonian laws to calculate linear motion?

Zynoakib said:
v = rw?
Yes, that's the right equation. All parts of the disc have the same ##\omega##, but they do not all have the same r.

Likes Zynoakib
haruspex said:
Yes, that's the right equation. All parts of the disc have the same ##\omega##, but they do not all have the same r.

So I eventually need to convert the tangetial velocity back to angular velocity. Ok I get it now

Thanks!

Zynoakib said:
So I eventually need to convert the tangetial velocity back to angular velocity. Ok I get it now

Thanks!
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.
Anyway, it would be more usual to apply standard theory regarding moments of inertia. You are aware of that?

haruspex said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.
Anyway, it would be more usual to apply standard theory regarding moments of inertia. You are aware of that?

Yes, I know. But when you calculate circular motion, it is ok not to use angular velocity or angular acceleration, so I was wondering if I can do the same thing in rotational motion. You know what I saying?

Zynoakib said:
Yes, I know. But when you calculate circular motion, it is ok not to use angular velocity or angular acceleration, so I was wondering if I can do the same thing in rotational motion. You know what I saying?
Ok, but it will turn out to be equivalent to reinventing the concept of moment of inertia. How will you now calculate the KE of the disc?

haruspex said:
Ok, but it will turn out to be equivalent to reinventing the concept of moment of inertia. How will you now calculate the KE of the disc?

Moment of inertia = 1/2MR^2 = 0.5(100)(05)^2 = 12.5 kgm^2
KE = 1/2(12.5)(2.618 / 0.5)^2 = 171 J

I get that 50 rpm is 5.24 rad/s?

andrevdh said:
I get that 50 rpm is 5.24 rad/s?
Which is indeed about 2.618/0.5.

Likes Zynoakib

1. What is rotational motion without torque?

Rotational motion without torque, also known as uniform circular motion, is the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. This type of motion does not involve any external forces acting on the object, so there is no change in its rotational speed.

2. How is rotational motion without torque different from rotational motion with torque?

In rotational motion with torque, there is an external force acting on the object, causing it to rotate. This can result in changes in the object's angular speed and direction. In rotational motion without torque, there are no external forces acting on the object, so it maintains a constant angular speed and direction.

3. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion without torque?

Some examples of rotational motion without torque include the motion of a planet around the sun, the rotation of a spinning top, and the motion of a pendulum swinging back and forth. In all of these examples, the objects are moving in a circular path at a constant speed without any external forces acting on them.

4. How is rotational motion without torque calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational motion without torque is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular speed, v is the linear speed, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula shows that the angular speed is directly proportional to the linear speed and inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path.

5. Why is it important to understand rotational motion without torque?

Understanding rotational motion without torque is important in fields such as physics and engineering, as it helps us to analyze and predict the behavior of rotating objects. It is also essential for understanding the motion of planets, satellites, and other objects in space.