1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stopping a potter's wheel with a wet rag (angular momentum and friction)

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A potter's wheel having a radius 0.55 m and a moment of inertia 11.6 kg·m2 is rotating freely at 55 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 8.0 s by pressing a wet rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 66 N. Find the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and the wet rag.

2. Relevant equations
    for a solid wheel I = (1/2)m*R^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started off converting 55rpm into 5.76 rad/s. I then divided 5.76rad/s by 8.00s to get the needed acceleration to stop the wheel and got -.72rad/s^2. Next i solved for the mass of the wheel by dividing the moment of inertia by .5*R^2 and got 7.018kg.

I figured by setting the force needed to stop the wheel equal to the force applied by the rag times the coefficient of friction i could divide the applied force on both sides and end up with the COF: m*a = F*u u=(m*a)/F u= (7.018kg*-.72rad/s^2)/66N = .07656

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2
    if you're going to use tangential acceleration, you have to multiply the rotational acceleration by the radius
    and
    you assumed that the potter's wheel could be approximated by I = .5 MR^2 when you didn't need to.

This problem is much more easily solved by using torques.

Recall that torque = moment of inertia x rotational acceleration

t = I a
    you found rotational acceleration successfully
    Now you need to find the torque from friction

Recall that torque = radius x force x sin (angle between them)
    t = r x F x sin 90
    Friction = mu x normal force
    = u N
    so the torque t = r u N

now set torques equal, r u N = I a
    and solve for u

you do have to memorize a couple of equations for torques, but once you do a lot of problems become a lot easier to figure out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook