Solving Tension in 3 Cords: Find T_a in Terms of W

  • Thread starter Thread starter dbakg00
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
dbakg00
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
This is my first post...is there a way to add a picture from my own computer to a post?

Homework Statement



similar to this problem but with different numbers
P5.26a.gif

In my problem, C=T3, B=T2, and A=T1. The angle on the left is 30 and the one on the right is 45



Homework Equations



[tex] \vec{F}_{net} = \Sigma \vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]





The Attempt at a Solution



What I know...
1. T_c=w
2. T_a sin 30 + T_b sin 45 = w
3. T_a cos 30 - T_b cos 45 = 0
4. sin 45 = cos 45

T_a sin 30 + T_b sin 45 = w
T_a sin 30 + T_b cos 45 = w
becuse of # 3 above, I get
T_a sin 30 + T_a cos 30 = w
T_a(sin 30 + cos 30) = w
T_a(1.366) = w


...I'm stuck here. Please help direct me to find T_a in terms of W. As shown above I came up with "T_a=w/1.366" but the book came up with "T_a=.732w" Thanks is advance for the help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi dbakg00! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
dbakg00 said:
… I came up with "T_a=w/1.366" but the book came up with "T_a=.732w"

erm :redface: … they're the same! :smile:
 
w/1.366 is the same as 0.732w, so it is both correct
 
I'm not seeing how those two are the same, would someone mind clarifying for me?
 
thank you...i've been staring at this problem for so long, even the obvious becomes oblivious to me!