1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving the 2D laplace equation. Quick question about the final stage

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

## \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x^2} +\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial y^2} = 0 ##

it's defined for ##V=0 ## for

## x=0, 0<y<b##,
    ## x=a, 0<y<b##,
    ## y=0, 0<x<a##

##V=V_0 x/a ## for ## y=b, 0<x<a##

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've got

##V(x,b) = \displaystyle V_0 x/a = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} K_n \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) \sinh ({n \pi b \over a}) ##

At first I thought I could set K to 0 for n>1 and do a simple division, but I don't know what K1 is. Do I always need to find Fourier coefficients. I have seen a problem www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~jmb/lectures/pdelecture5.pdf here where in the final stage they do something like this. I'm guessing I need to do the former, but I am interested to know if the other method is possible.

As for the coefficients, the function is odd so the only integral I need is the sine integral.

## K_n = \frac{1}{a} \int_0^{2a} \frac{V x}{a} \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) dx =-\frac{2V}{n\pi} ##

I think this is right:

##V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} -\frac{2V}{n\pi} \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) \sinh ({n \pi y \over a})##

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Presumably those are second order partials.

Presumably you got for your proposed solution$$
    V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty K_n\sin\frac{n\pi x}{a}\sinh\frac{n\pi y}{a}$$It is when you put in ##y=b## you get the next equation, and the left side of that equation should be ##V(x,b)##, not ##V(x,y)## since you are trying to make the last boundary condition work.

No, you've lost your way here. Of course you need a Fourier Series. How else can the sum of sine terms equal ##V_0x/a##? First, it doesn't matter whether that function is odd because whatever it might be, you would use the odd half-range expansion since all you have to work with is sine terms. What you need is for$$K_n\sinh\frac {n\pi b} a$$ to be the half range Fourier coefficient usually called ##b_n##. So set$$
    K_n\sinh\frac {n\pi b} a = \frac 2 a\int_0^a \frac {V_0x} a \sin\frac{n\pi x}a dx$$
    Solve that for ##K_n## and put in in the formula for ##V(x,y)##.

4. May 10, 2012 #3
    I get ##K_n = -\frac{2V(-1)^n}{n \pi \sinh ({n \pi b \over a } )}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook