Solving the 2D laplace equation. Quick question about the final stage

In summary: V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} -\frac{2V(-1)^n}{n\pi \sinh ({n \pi b \over a })} \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) \sinh ({n \pi y \over a})##. Is this correct?
Gregg

Homework Statement

## \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x^2} +\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial y^2} = 0 ##

it's defined for ##V=0 ## for

## x=0, 0<y<b##,
## x=a, 0<y<b##,
## y=0, 0<x<a##

##V=V_0 x/a ## for ## y=b, 0<x<a##

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got

##V(x,b) = \displaystyle V_0 x/a = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} K_n \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) \sinh ({n \pi b \over a}) ##

At first I thought I could set K to 0 for n>1 and do a simple division, but I don't know what K1 is. Do I always need to find Fourier coefficients. I have seen a problem www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~jmb/lectures/pdelecture5.pdf here where in the final stage they do something like this. I'm guessing I need to do the former, but I am interested to know if the other method is possible.

As for the coefficients, the function is odd so the only integral I need is the sine integral.

## K_n = \frac{1}{a} \int_0^{2a} \frac{V x}{a} \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) dx =-\frac{2V}{n\pi} ##

I think this is right:

##V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} -\frac{2V}{n\pi} \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) \sinh ({n \pi y \over a})##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gregg said:

Homework Statement

## \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial V}{\partial y} = 0 ##

Presumably those are second order partials.

it's defined for ##V=0 ## for

## x=0, 0<y<b##,
## x=a, 0<y<b##,
## y=0, 0<x<a##

##V=V_0 x/a ## for ## y=b, 0<x<a##

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got

Presumably you got for your proposed solution$$
V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty K_n\sin\frac{n\pi x}{a}\sinh\frac{n\pi y}{a}$$It is when you put in ##y=b## you get the next equation, and the left side of that equation should be ##V(x,b)##, not ##V(x,y)## since you are trying to make the last boundary condition work.

##V(x,y) = \displaystyle V_0 x/a = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} K_n \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) \sinh ({n \pi b \over a}) ##

At first I thought I could set K to 0 for n>1 and do a simple division, but I don't know what K1 is. Do I always need to find Fourier coefficients. I have seen a problem www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~jmb/lectures/pdelecture5.pdf here where in the final stage they do something like this. I'm guessing I need to do the former, but I am interested to know if the other method is possible.

As for the coefficients, the function is odd so the only integral I need is the sine integral.

## K_n = \frac{1}{a} \int_0^{2a} \frac{V x}{a} \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) dx =-\frac{2V}{n\pi} ##

I think this is right:

##V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} -\frac{2V}{n\pi} \sin ({n \pi x \over a}) \sinh ({n \pi y \over a})##

No, you've lost your way here. Of course you need a Fourier Series. How else can the sum of sine terms equal ##V_0x/a##? First, it doesn't matter whether that function is odd because whatever it might be, you would use the odd half-range expansion since all you have to work with is sine terms. What you need is for$$K_n\sinh\frac {n\pi b} a$$ to be the half range Fourier coefficient usually called ##b_n##. So set$$
K_n\sinh\frac {n\pi b} a = \frac 2 a\int_0^a \frac {V_0x} a \sin\frac{n\pi x}a dx$$
Solve that for ##K_n## and put in in the formula for ##V(x,y)##.

I get ##K_n = -\frac{2V(-1)^n}{n \pi \sinh ({n \pi b \over a } )}##

1. What is the 2D Laplace equation?

The 2D Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the change in temperature, voltage, or potential in a two-dimensional space. It is used in many areas of science and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

2. How is the 2D Laplace equation solved?

The 2D Laplace equation can be solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the equation into a set of linear algebraic equations, which can then be solved using computer algorithms.

3. What is the final stage in solving the 2D Laplace equation?

The final stage in solving the 2D Laplace equation is to evaluate the solution at the boundaries and verify that it satisfies the boundary conditions. This step is important to ensure the accuracy and validity of the solution.

4. What are the applications of solving the 2D Laplace equation?

The 2D Laplace equation has many applications in science and engineering, including modeling heat transfer in materials, analyzing fluid flow in pipes and channels, and calculating electric potential in conductors and semiconductors.

5. What are the limitations of solving the 2D Laplace equation?

One of the main limitations of solving the 2D Laplace equation is that it assumes a steady-state condition, meaning that the system being modeled is not changing over time. This makes it unsuitable for analyzing dynamic systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution depends on the chosen numerical method and grid resolution, which can be computationally demanding for complex geometries.