Solving the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Sliding Pig

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Shatzkinator
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A slide-loving pig slides down a certain 35 degree slide in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless 35 degree slide. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the slide?


Homework Equations


fs = Mk * Fn


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not quite sure how to tackle this one =(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Find the component of the net force that acts parallel to the incline.
 
Perhaps examine the kinematic relationship between time distance and acceleration?

x = 1/2*a*t2
 
Hootenanny said:
HINT: Find the component of the net force that acts parallel to the incline.

I don't understand how to do it, I'm only given the 35 degree angle. Also the answer isn't given in the back of the book so I couldn't know if I did it right even if I did have te correct procedure.
 
Shatzkinator said:
I don't understand how to do it, I'm only given the 35 degree angle.
Okay. I suggest you start by drawing a free body diagram, labelling all the forces.
 
Hootenanny said:
Okay. I suggest you start by drawing a free body diagram, labelling all the forces.

I have tried this... I still don't know what to do. Can you please show me the solution?
 
I got 0.53 as my Mk.. please let me know if this is right.