1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solving the 'modified diffusion equation' using fourier transform

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A the density of a gas [tex]\rho[/tex] obeys the modified diffusion equation

[tex]\frac{\partial \rho(x,t)}{\partial t}-D\frac{\partial^2 \rho(x,t)}{\partial x^2}=K\delta(x)\delta(t)[/tex]

A) Express [tex]\rho[/tex] in terms of its 2D fourier transform [tex]\widetilde{\rho}(p,\omega)[/tex] and express the right hand side as a Fourier type integral.

B) Find the function [tex]\widetilde{\rho}(p,\omega)[/tex]
    [Note: It might occur to you that this function could contain a term of the form [tex]f(p)\delta(Dp^2-i\omega )[/tex], where [tex]f(p)[/tex] is an arbitrary function. If so, you should assume that [tex]f(p)=0[/tex]. If this doesn't occur to you, then don't worry about it!]

3. The attempt at a solution

A) I'm pretty sure I can do this:

[tex]\rho(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\iint_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp\; d\omega\; \left [e^{i(px-\omega t)}\widetilde{\rho}(p,\omega) \right ][/tex]

and

[tex]\delta(x)\delta(t)=\frac{1}{4\pi^2}\iint_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp\; d\omega\; \left [e^{i(px-\omega t)} \right][/tex]

B) Sticking the results from A) into the diffusion equation, taking the derivatives and rearranging:

[tex]\iint_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp\; d\omega\; \left [e^{i(px-\omega t)}\widetilde{\rho}(p,\omega) \right]=\frac{K}{2\pi(Dp^2-i\omega)}\iint_{-\infty}^{\infty}dp\; d\omega\; \left [e^{i(px-\omega t)} \right][/tex]

...and here i get stuck. how do i solve this? I have noticed that the two sides are conspicuously similar, but I'm not sure what conclusions I can make from that.

Edit: the choice of exponentials for the transform (negative for the time) is the convention that was recomended in lectures.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2
    I'm tempted to simply say [tex]\widetilde{\rho}(p,\omega)=1[/tex], and [tex]\frac{K}{2\pi (Dp^2-i\omega)}=1[/tex], but that wouldn't give much diffusion, so I assume that's not the answer...

I have also considered taking [tex]\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial p \partial \omega}[/tex] to both sides to get a partial differential equation, but i don't think that will work, since it's a definate integral, and you would still have an integral on the r.h.s from the chain rule.

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    i'm sorry, this is nought but a shameless bump, can't diguise it as anything else. Any hint would be appreciated.

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't take the term [tex](Dp^2-i\omega)[/tex] out of the integral on the left since both variables are operated on by the integrals. Then maybe the hint can be used.

6. Apr 29, 2010 #5
    I stared at this for so long, can't believe I didn't realize that...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook