Diffusion equation in polar coordinates

In summary, we are trying to solve the axisymmetric diffusion equation for vorticity by Fourier transformation. However, since the domain is not ##r\in (-\infty,\infty)##, we cannot use Fourier transform. Instead, we can use the Hankel transform. Another approach is to do a Laplace transform in time. The initial condition given is ##\omega(t=0)=\gamma \delta(\vec{r})##. The solution can be found by transforming the equation into Cartesian coordinates and using Fourier transforms in both spatial directions. The final solution is given by ##\omega(x,y,t)=\frac{\gamma}{4\pi \nu t} e^{-\frac{x^2 + y^2
robinegberts

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve the axisymmetric diffusion equation for vorticity by Fourier transformation.

Homework Equations

$$ \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial t} = \nu \Big( \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial \omega}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial^2 \omega}{\partial r^2} \Big). $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the 1D analog
$$ \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial t} = \nu \frac{\partial^2 \omega}{\partial x^2} $$
by Fourier transformation. In this case, however, I don't how how to deal with the term
$$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\frac{\partial \omega}{\partial r} \frac{e^{-i k r}}{r} \mathrm{d} r}, $$
since partial integration only makes matters worse. Any ideas? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot solve it by Fourier transform because your domain is not ##r\in (-\infty,\infty)##. If you really want to use transform methods, the transform you would be looking for is the Hankel transform.

Likes robinegberts
Thanks, that makes sense. What would be the easiest way to solve the problem under the initial condition ##\omega(t=0)=\gamma \delta(\vec{r})##?

robinegberts said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve the axisymmetric diffusion equation for vorticity by Fourier transformation.

Homework Equations

$$ \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial t} = \nu \Big( \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial \omega}{\partial r} + \frac{\partial^2 \omega}{\partial r^2} \Big). $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the 1D analog
$$ \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial t} = \nu \frac{\partial^2 \omega}{\partial x^2} $$
by Fourier transformation. In this case, however, I don't how how to deal with the term
$$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\frac{\partial \omega}{\partial r} \frac{e^{-i k r}}{r} \mathrm{d} r}, $$
since partial integration only makes matters worse. Any ideas? Thanks.

As Orodruin points out in post #2, you cannot do a Fourier transform in the ##r## variable. However, you could do a Fourier transform in ##t##. Personally, if I were doing it (in view of the fact that everything starts at time ##t=0##) I would avoid Fourier and go with a Laplace transfer in ##t##.

Likes robinegberts
robinegberts said:
Thanks, that makes sense. What would be the easiest way to solve the problem under the initial condition ##\omega(t=0)=\gamma \delta(\vec{r})##?
Don't do it in polar coordinates. Putting a delta function on a point that is singular in your coordinate system is generally a bad idea if you do not know how to do it properly. Do it in Cartesian coordinates and Fourier transform in both spatial directions.

Edit: What you have here is essentially the computation of the heat kernel in two dimensions (which can easily be related to the Green's function of the heat equation). I have quite some discussion on this in my book and you should find it discussed in any text on mathematical methods that cover Green's functions of the heat equation.

Likes robinegberts
Thanks for the replies. Using Orodruin's approach of doing it in Cartesian coordinates separates the problem nicely into a problem I can solve and is a lot more intuitive than using polar coordinates.

robinegberts said:
Thanks for the replies. Using Orodruin's approach of doing it in Cartesian coordinates separates the problem nicely into a problem I can solve and is a lot more intuitive than using polar coordinates.
For future readers of this thread, could you please provide your solution? By forum rules others are not allowed to discuss full solutions in the homework forums until the OP has shown that he or she has solved the problem.

Written in Cartensian coordinates, the vorticity diffusion equation for ##\omega(x,y,t)## reads
$$\frac{\partial \omega}{\partial t} = \nu \Big( \frac{\partial^2 \omega}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \omega}{\partial y^2} \Big).$$
Fourier transforming the ##x,y## coordinates to ##k_x,k_y## using
$$\iint{\frac{\partial^2 \omega}{\partial x^2} e^{-2 \pi i (x k_x + y k_y)}\mathrm{d}x\mathrm{d}y} = -4\pi^2 k_x^2 \hat{\omega}(k_x,k_y,t),$$
and similar for the second partial derivative with respect to the y-component yields
$$\frac{\partial \hat{\omega}}{\partial t} = -4 \pi^2 \nu (k_x^2 + k_y^2) \hat{\omega}. $$
The initial condition
$$\omega(x,y,t=0)=\gamma \delta(x,y)$$
can be Fourier transformed to give
$$\omega(k_x,k_y,t=0)=\gamma,$$
and therefore
$$\hat{\omega}=\gamma e^{-4\pi^2 \nu (k_x^2 + k_y^2)t}.$$
Fourier-transforming this back into real space by completing the square in the exponent in the integral then gives the final answer
$$\omega(x,y,t)=\frac{\gamma}{4\pi \nu t} e^{-\frac{x^2 + y^2}{4 \nu t}}.$$

Likes Orodruin

1. What is the diffusion equation in polar coordinates?

The diffusion equation in polar coordinates is a mathematical expression that describes how a substance moves or spreads out over time in a system with a circular or spherical symmetry. It takes into account the radial distance from the center of the system and the angular direction.

2. What are the variables in the diffusion equation in polar coordinates?

The variables in the diffusion equation in polar coordinates are the radial coordinate (r), the angular coordinate (θ), time (t), and the concentration of the substance (C). These variables are used to describe the diffusion process in a circular or spherical system.

3. What is the significance of the diffusion coefficient in the diffusion equation in polar coordinates?

The diffusion coefficient, also known as the diffusion constant, is a measure of how fast a substance diffuses in a medium. It is a key parameter in the diffusion equation in polar coordinates as it determines the rate at which the substance spreads out in the system.

4. How is the diffusion equation in polar coordinates solved?

The diffusion equation in polar coordinates can be solved using various mathematical methods such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or numerical methods. The specific approach depends on the boundary conditions and initial conditions of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the diffusion equation in polar coordinates?

The diffusion equation in polar coordinates has many applications in physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to model diffusion processes in circular or spherical systems, such as diffusion in a spherical cell or the spread of pollutants in a lake. It is also used in heat transfer analysis, where the temperature distribution in a circular or spherical system is described by the diffusion equation in polar coordinates.