Solving the Problem of a Block Sliding Up an Inclined Plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
webren
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
I have a question about this problem:

"A block is given an initial velocity of 5.00 m/s up a frictionless 20.0(degrees) incline. How far up the incline does the block slide before coming to a rest?"

The book gives a clue stating that mgx = -mgsin20.0 and mgy=-mgcos20.

My question is why is mgx negative mgsin20?

When I work it out:

Sum of x force = mgsin20 = ma,
therefore: a = gsin20

Do they make it negative because the force of gravity in the x direction is going in a negative direction while the velocity is going in a positive direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's negative becouse they defined the the direction of the initial velocity as positive, and so becous it's slowing down (along both the x and the y axis) the accelaration and force have to be negative.
 
What course are you taking? I'll be in the Clark building tomorrow. Taking my final exam

:smile: Whats your major?

Ans. Because gravity slows the block down as it slides up the incline.

The correct spelling is "because" lenin. Nice name BTW, clever.
 
:smile: I just noticed your red text, how appropriate,...commie.
 
Ah, both of your answers make sense. Thank you.

The class I am taking is Engineering Physics I.
I am a computer science major.

Looks like cyrusabdollahi and I go to the same school. Nifty.