Solving this rate of decay problem -- Mass loss calculation

In summary, the rate of decay is a measure of how quickly a substance or material is breaking down and is calculated by measuring the change in mass or quantity of the substance over time. The initial mass is the original amount of substance present at the beginning of the decay process, while the final mass is the amount of substance remaining after a certain amount of time has passed. The formula for calculating the rate of decay is (final mass - initial mass) / time and it can be used to calculate the half-life of a substance using the formula t<sub>1/2</sub> = ln(2) / rate of decay. The concept of rate of decay is applied in various fields such as nuclear science, environmental science, and medicine.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached.
Relevant Equations
exponential function and its derivatives
My interest is on question ##11.ii## only. I think there is a mistake on the markscheme...i just need a second opinion on this...find attached the question and markscheme...
1626379781217.png

markscheme here:
1626379870057.png

it ought to be,
##e^{0.0277t}=1.6797##

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the precision in the previous step, quoting anything more precise 1.7 is probably pushing it.

Likes PhDeezNutz and chwala
Orodruin said:
Given the precision in the previous step, quoting anything more precise 1.7 is probably pushing it.
I think mark scheme is just fine...you are also correct...i would probably say ##1.68## to 3 significant figures...

1. What is the rate of decay and why is it important?

The rate of decay refers to the speed at which a substance or material breaks down over time. It is important to understand this rate in order to accurately predict and calculate the amount of mass loss over a given period of time.

2. How is the rate of decay measured?

The rate of decay can be measured through various methods, depending on the substance being studied. For example, in radioactive decay, the rate can be measured through the half-life of the substance, while in chemical decay, it can be determined through the change in concentration over time.

3. How do you calculate mass loss due to decay?

To calculate mass loss due to decay, you will need to know the initial mass of the substance, the rate of decay, and the time period over which the decay is occurring. Using these values, you can use the formula M = M0e-kt, where M is the final mass, M0 is the initial mass, k is the rate constant, and t is the time period.

4. What factors can affect the rate of decay?

The rate of decay can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. For example, in chemical decay, the rate may increase with higher temperatures, while in radioactive decay, the rate may be affected by the presence of other radioactive elements.

5. How can the rate of decay be used in practical applications?

The rate of decay has many practical applications, such as in determining the shelf life of food products, predicting the lifespan of materials, and understanding the behavior of radioactive substances. It is also important in fields such as archaeology and geology, where the rate of decay can be used to determine the age of artifacts or geological formations.