CIE A'level question on toppling of connected solids

In summary: I think that is what you are looking for!In summary, the homework statement is about solving for the least possible value for h for a CIE markscheme with h=0.944. First, they set up an equation for the centre of mass of the complete objects and then state that the centre of mass of the hole object is above the common circumference. They find this value for h by setting up an equation for the centre of mass of the hole object and then stating that the centre of mass of the complete object is below the common circumference. Finally, if anybody wants to check with the markscheme for that exam, they can.
moriheru
α
IMG_1872.PNG
IMG_1862.PNG
1. Homework Statement

The problem my question is about is 4. (iii). Second image First image is markscheme

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The CIE markscheme has h= 0.944 as the least possible value for h. They find this value for h by setting up an equation for the centre of mass of the complete objects and then stating that the centre of mass of the hole object is above the common circumference ( on the side of the cylinder). This all seems clear to me, except for the second equation where the cos() is involved. If anyone could explain that, I would be very grateful .Yet when I first tried the problem myself I attempted to find the value for h by deducing that the moment of the weight of the cylinder about the centre of the common circumference of the complete object must be greater than the moment of the cone about the same point and I found my h to be equal to 0.4. Here is my moments equation:

Let W be the weight of the cone.

3Wx(h/2) = W x ( 2.4x0.25)

Solving for h gives :

h=0.4

If anybody could tell me where I went wrong I would be again very grateful. Finally if anybody wants to check with the markscheme for that exam( the first part labeled with iii above the second image)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mori,

moriheru said:
The problem my question is about is 4. (iii)
Well, now that that has been cleared up: what is your question ?
[mock surprise:smile:]Ah ! it is hidden in your attempt at solution: I do it soandso and don't see what I do wrong

moriheru said:
If anybody could tell me where I went wrong
You assume the cylinder isn't leaning against the cone or pulling at it. In view of the final result 0.944 it is pulling. Of course: it has to lever itself as well as pull up the cone

But the main point is that the moments with respect to the axis of rotation should balance

Thank you for your reply! The axis of rotation would be at the point on the ground on the common circumference of the complete object ( the point I labeled A in my sketch) , right ? What would the moments of the respective weights be about the axis of rotation? Thank you for any further effort!
IMG_1873.JPG

Do you understand what they calculate with
upload_2017-4-18_14-34-38.png

and with
upload_2017-4-18_14-34-55.png

?

In answer to your question: ##3w\left (\left (2.4+h/2\right )\cos\alpha - \sqrt{0.7^2+2.4^2}\ \right ) \ \ ## and ##\ \ w \left (2.4* 3/4 \cos\alpha - \sqrt{0.7^2+2.4^2}\ \right )\ \ ##, respectively -- as you can easily calculate yourself.

Thanks again. No I don't understand what is meant... at least I am not 100% certain. Please explain :smile:!

It all starts with
moriheru said:
Homework Statement
if you don't know what VG stands for, you are in the dark.
But if you see how VG is related to ##2.5/\cos\alpha## you might see the light !

Is VG the distance of the centre of mass of the complete object from the vertex of the cone along the axis of symmetry? And yes it all makes sense then. And looking back on my original post I think I did mention that suspision. Yet, referring to my sketch above, I do not understand how the equation of moments would be if Imwere to take moments about the point I labled A. More specifically, for the moment of a force I need the perpendicular distance from a point to where the force ismapplied. If you could clarify what the distance is I am looking for I would be very grateful. :smile:

Yes. And its projection on the plane is ##VG\cos\alpha##...

1. What is the concept of toppling of connected solids?

The toppling of connected solids refers to the phenomenon where a group of connected objects or structures lose their balance and fall over due to an external force acting on them. This can occur when the combined center of mass of the objects moves outside their base of support, causing them to topple over.

2. How do you calculate the stability of a connected solid?

The stability of a connected solid can be calculated by determining the position of its center of mass and comparing it to the position of its base of support. If the center of mass lies within the base of support, the object is stable. If it lies outside the base of support, the object is unstable and may topple over.

3. What factors can affect the toppling of connected solids?

Several factors can affect the toppling of connected solids, including the shape and size of the objects, the mass and distribution of the objects, the strength and direction of the external force, and the friction between the objects and the surface they are on.

4. How can toppling of connected solids be prevented?

To prevent toppling of connected solids, the center of mass of the objects should be kept within their base of support. This can be achieved by distributing the weight of the objects evenly and using a wider base of support. Additionally, increasing the friction between the objects and the surface can also help to prevent toppling.

5. What are some real-life examples of toppling of connected solids?

Some real-life examples of toppling of connected solids include a stack of books falling over when one book is removed, a tower of blocks toppling over due to a strong wind, and a ladder falling when it is not properly supported. It can also occur in more complex structures, such as buildings or bridges, if their center of mass is not properly supported.