Solving this set of trigonometric equations

In summary, the conversation discusses equations involving A, B, C, and D which are known quantities and the desire to find unique expressions for tan δ and tan φ without quadrant ambiguity. The speaker mentions finding an expression for φ but not for δ, and questions whether it is possible to evaluate δ without quadrant ambiguity. They also mention a birefringence measurement system and ask for help. The concept of quadrant ambiguity is explained as determining the quadrant in which a value lies based on the signs of its components. The speaker suggests using substitutions and trigonometric equations to avoid quadrant ambiguity.
Kallol
I have the following set of equations from which I need to find δ and φ uniquely (i.e without quadrant ambiguity).
In other words I need to have expressions for tan δ and tan φ involving A,B,C and D which are known quantities.

A=1-sin(squared) δ/2 x sin 4φ
B=1+sin(squared) δ/2 x sin 4φ
C= [sin(squared) δ/2].[1+cos 4φ]
D=2-[sin(squared) δ/2].[1+cos 4φ]

From this I find that φ=(1/2) tan (inverse) [(B-A)/2C].
I cannot find a similar expression for δ or δ/2. I can find it as a cos(inverse) function, but the quadrant anomaly remains.
My question is, Is it at all possible to evaluate δ or δ/2 uniquely (without quadrant ambiguity) from the above set of equations? These are expressions I obtained for a birefringence measurement system involving phase δ and direction of birefringence φ which needs to be evaluated unambiguiously.

Will be thankful for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is quadratic ambiguity?

Did you try D/C?

I mean quadrant ambiguity, i,e., if we have an expression of the form tan x =a/b, the signs of a and b determine
in which of the 4 quadrants the x lie.

You need not use quadrant ambiguity, you can do it by simple substitutions, and using trigonometric equations

1. What is the purpose of solving a set of trigonometric equations?

The purpose of solving a set of trigonometric equations is to find the values of the unknown variables that satisfy the given equations. This allows us to solve problems involving triangles, circles, and periodic functions in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How do I determine which trigonometric identities to use when solving these equations?

When solving a set of trigonometric equations, it is important to use the appropriate trigonometric identities based on the given equations. This involves understanding the relationships between trigonometric functions, as well as knowing how to manipulate and simplify expressions using these identities.

3. What are some common strategies for solving a set of trigonometric equations?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve a set of trigonometric equations, including using the unit circle, applying trigonometric identities, using inverse trigonometric functions, and setting up and solving systems of equations. It is important to try different approaches and choose the most efficient method for each problem.

4. Can calculators be used to solve these equations?

Yes, calculators can be used to solve trigonometric equations, but they should be used carefully. Calculators can provide numerical solutions, but they may not show the steps involved in solving the equations. It is important to know how to solve these equations by hand in order to understand and verify the results obtained from a calculator.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a set of trigonometric equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to use parentheses when simplifying expressions, mistaking the range of inverse trigonometric functions, and not checking for extraneous solutions. It is important to pay attention to detail and double-check the solutions to ensure they are accurate.