1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving this set of trigonometric equations

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1
    I have the following set of equations from which I need to find δ and φ uniquely (i.e without quadrant ambiguity).
    In other words I need to have expressions for tan δ and tan φ involving A,B,C and D which are known quantities.

A=1-sin(squared) δ/2 x sin 4φ
    B=1+sin(squared) δ/2 x sin 4φ
    C= [sin(squared) δ/2].[1+cos 4φ]
    D=2-[sin(squared) δ/2].[1+cos 4φ]

From this I find that φ=(1/2) tan (inverse) [(B-A)/2C].
    I cannot find a similar expression for δ or δ/2. I can find it as a cos(inverse) function, but the quadrant anomaly remains.
    My question is, Is it at all possible to evaluate δ or δ/2 uniquely (without quadrant ambiguity) from the above set of equations? These are expressions I obtained for a birefringence measurement system involving phase δ and direction of birefringence φ which needs to be evaluated unambiguiously.

Will be thankful for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2015 #2
    What is quadratic ambiguity?

Did you try D/C?

4. Aug 19, 2015 #3
    I mean quadrant ambiguity, i,e., if we have an expression of the form tan x =a/b, the signs of a and b determine
    in which of the 4 quadrants the x lie.

5. Aug 19, 2015 #4
    You need not use quadrant ambiguity, you can do it by simple substitutions, and using trigonometric equations

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook