Solving Trig Integrals for Infinite Series Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an infinite series question using the integral test. However, the speaker is struggling to solve the integral and considers using a comparison test instead. The other person suggests looking at the limiting behavior of sin(1/n) and the speaker eventually figures out that it can be simplified by disregarding the portion with n in the denominator.
RyanMcStylin

Homework Statement

So this problem is actually an infinite series question, but i have shaved it down to an integral that i cannot seem to solve. I am new to this so i am going to try to talk you through it
here is the original problem:
the sum from n=1 to n=[tex]\infty[/tex] of sin(1/n)

Homework Equations

we have learned multiple ways to solve these equations, for this i have decided to use the integral test which says, if the integral from 1 to [tex]\infty[/tex] converges, then the sum converges.

The Attempt at a Solution

so far i have simplified it down to:
the integral from 1 to [tex]\infty[/tex] sin(1/x)dx however 1/x is also equal to x^-1 and taking this anti-derivative leaves me with x all over the place and to many options for an anti-derivative. i was thinking u substitution, any ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
In fact, you don't have any options for an antiderivative. You can't integrate that in a simple form. Forget the integral test. Think about a comparison test and the limiting behavior of sin(x) as x->0 which is the same thing as sin(1/n) as n->infinity.

good plan, but i figured it out. in case you were wondering. since 1/n is always such a small angle the entire sine part of the equation is negligible. so when determining convergence of an infinite series involving sine, determine the convergence of the angle and you have the convergence of the whole function. in this case since 1/n diverges by p-series so does sin(1/n). thanks for the help

I have learned it is best to throw out the portion of the equation with the n in the denominator. Makes it less messier.

1. How do I determine the convergence of a trigonometric infinite series?

To determine the convergence of a trigonometric infinite series, you can use the Ratio Test or the Comparison Test. The Ratio Test compares the given series to a geometric series, while the Comparison Test compares it to a known convergent or divergent series. If the limit of the ratio or comparison is less than 1, the series converges. If it is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test should be used.

2. Can I use integration by parts to solve trigonometric infinite series problems?

Yes, integration by parts can be used to solve some trigonometric infinite series problems. This method involves rewriting the integral in a different form and then integrating by parts to simplify the problem. However, it is not always the most efficient method and other techniques such as using trigonometric identities may be more suitable.

3. How do I determine the interval of convergence for a trigonometric infinite series?

To determine the interval of convergence for a trigonometric infinite series, you can use the Ratio Test or the Root Test. These tests will give you a range of values for which the series will converge. You can then check the endpoints of this range to see if they are included in the interval of convergence.

4. Are there any special techniques for solving trigonometric infinite series problems?

Yes, there are several special techniques that can be used to solve trigonometric infinite series problems. These include using Euler's Formula, which relates complex numbers and trigonometric functions, and using trigonometric identities to simplify the series. Other techniques such as partial fraction decomposition and substitution may also be helpful in certain cases.

5. Can the convergence of a trigonometric infinite series be proven without using tests?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove the convergence of a trigonometric infinite series without relying on tests. These include the Direct Comparison Test, where the given series is compared to a known convergent or divergent series, and the Integral Test, which involves comparing the series to an integral. These methods may be more straightforward in some cases, but they may not always be applicable.