Solving u_y + a(x,y) u_x = 0 for function a(x,y) that yields no solution

• Thread starter lucqui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, to find a function a(x,y) that satisfies the given conditions, you need to choose a function a(x,y) such that the equation $u_y + a(x,y) u_x = f(x,y)$ becomes inhomogeneous, meaning it cannot be solved for any non-constant initial value defined on the hyperplane ${(x,0)}$. One possible example is $a(x,y)=e^{xy}$.
lucqui
Hi. I am taking a PDE class and struggling a little. The professor gave us this problem to practice:

Find a function a = a(x,y) continuous such that for the equation $u_y + a(x,y) u_x = 0 $ there does not exist a solution in all of $R^2$ for any non-constant initial value defined on the hyperplane ${(x,0)}$

I thought that in order to find such a function I needed to make the hyperplane characteristic at all points, but that got me nowhere. Please help me find a direction. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
One approach is to find a function a(x,y) such that the equation becomes inhomogeneous. That is, you need to choose a function a(x,y) such that the equation $u_y + a(x,y) u_x = f(x,y)$ has no solution in all of $R^2$ for any non-constant initial value defined on the hyperplane ${(x,0)}$. In other words, you need to find a function a(x,y) such that, for some function $f(x,y)$, the equation $u_y + a(x,y) u_x = f(x,y)$ cannot be solved for any given non-constant initial value. A possible example of such a function is $a(x,y)=e^{xy}$.

FAQ: Solving u_y + a(x,y) u_x = 0 for function a(x,y) that yields no solution

1. What does the equation u_y + a(x,y) u_x = 0 mean?

This equation is known as a first-order partial differential equation. It represents a relationship between the partial derivatives of a function u with respect to the variables x and y.

2. How do you solve u_y + a(x,y) u_x = 0?

To solve this equation, you can use the method of characteristics. This involves finding a set of curves, known as characteristics, along which the equation reduces to an ordinary differential equation that can be solved.

3. What is the role of the function a(x,y) in this equation?

The function a(x,y) is known as the coefficient function. It represents the rate of change of the function u in the x direction relative to the y direction. This function is crucial in determining the solution to the equation.

4. Can there be cases where this equation has no solution?

Yes, there are cases where this equation may not have a solution. This can happen when the coefficient function a(x,y) is not well-behaved, or when the initial or boundary conditions are not compatible with the equation.

5. How can I determine if a particular a(x,y) will yield no solution?

There are various techniques, such as the method of characteristics and the Cauchy-Kovalevskaya theorem, that can be used to analyze the equation and determine if it has a solution or not. However, in some cases, it may be difficult to determine this without actually attempting to find a solution.