Some books on introductory classical physics

In summary, for suggestions on classical physics, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday & Resnick and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin are good starting points. There are also high school papers and books available, although it is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus for better comprehension. "Alonso & Finn I and II" are highly recommended for their clear explanations, brief summaries, and memorable diagrams.
sahilmm15
I need some suggestions on classical physics. You can help me with some high school papers or books to get started with.Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A long-time standard for freshman physics is "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday & Resnick.

Likes Hamiltonian
you could also look into "introduction to classical mechanics" by David Morin.

Alonso & Finn I and II.

Likes MidgetDwarf
sahilmm15 said:
with some high school papers or books
Does that mean with or without a prerequisite of calculus?

FactChecker said:
Does that mean with or without a prerequisite of calculus?
I am clear with my basics of calculus.

Likes FactChecker
Physics is incomprehensible without calculus. It's also great fun to learn calculus along with the physics :-)).

Likes atyy, Hamiltonian and sahilmm15
andresB said:
Alonso & Finn I and II.
I would second this. Explanation are clear and brief. Very good memorable diagrams. The diagrams are meaningful and easy to understand. It is better than the Resnick book.

1. What is classical physics?

Classical physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of matter and energy at a macroscopic level, meaning it focuses on objects that are large enough to be seen with the naked eye. It is based on the laws of motion and gravity proposed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What are some books on introductory classical physics?

Some popular books on introductory classical physics include "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, and "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow.

3. Is classical physics still relevant today?

Yes, classical physics is still relevant today as it provides the foundation for understanding many concepts in modern physics. While it may not fully explain phenomena at the atomic and subatomic level, it is still applicable to everyday objects and systems.

4. Do I need to have a strong math background to understand introductory classical physics?

Having a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry is helpful in understanding introductory classical physics. However, many introductory books provide explanations and examples that are accessible to readers with varying levels of math proficiency.

5. How can I apply the principles of classical physics in real life?

Classical physics principles can be applied in many areas of everyday life, such as understanding the motion of objects, designing structures and machines, and predicting the behavior of fluids. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help in designing a bridge that can withstand the forces of wind and traffic.