Some confusion regarding yet another Coulumb's Law problem.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding the electrostatic force on particle 2 due to particle 1, as well as the coordinates of a third particle that would result in a net electrostatic force of zero. The relevant equations for Coulomb's Law are mentioned, and the person has attempted to use a method from previous physics to solve the problem, but is unsure if it is the correct approach. They have also noted the observation that the sum of the forces on particle 3 must be zero. The other person has asked for further clarification on the methods used and the resulting answers.
frankfjf

Homework Statement

The charges and coordinates of two charged particles held fixed in an xy plane are q1 = +3.0 microCoulombs, x1 = 3.5cm, y1 = 0.50cm, and q2 = -4.0 microCoulombs, x2 = 2.0cm, y2 = 1.5cm. Find the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the electrostatic force on particle 2 due to particle 1. At what (c) x and (d) y coordinates should a third particle of charge q3 = +4.0 microCoulombs be placed such that the net electrostatic force on particle 3 due to particles 1 and 2 is zero?

Homework Equations

Herein lies the problem. Other than kq1q2/r^2 (Coulomb's Law), I'm not sure how to approach this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried the method I remember from previous Physics, which is to add x1 + x2 for a net X and y1 + y2 for a net Y, then taking the square root of Xnet^2 + Ynet^2 for the magnitude, and the arctangent of Ynet over Xnet for the angle, which get me some answers, but I'm not sure if this is the proper method to use for parts a and b. I am also unclear on how to even begin parts c and d other than the observation that F31 + F32 must equal zero. Any help or hints at how to get started would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If would be much more helpful if you could elaborate on what you've done. How did you set up your equations? What answers did you get? I'm going to guess that you've got the right idea, about breaking up the forces into the x and y components.

No. You can't just add x1 and x2. The r^2 refers to the magnitude of the distance between them, do you know the distance formula? [tex]\sqrt{(x_1-x_2)^2+(y_1-y_2)^2}[/tex]. That is r.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between the two charged particles, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What are the units for Coulomb's constant?

The units for Coulomb's constant, k, are Nm^2/C^2 (newton meter squared per coulomb squared).

4. How is Coulomb's Law related to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation are similar in that they both describe the force between two objects. However, Coulomb's Law applies to electric charges while Newton's Law applies to masses.

5. What are some common applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is used in many fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. It is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of electrically charged particles and is used in the design of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors.