Some hermitian operators relations

In summary, a hermitian operator is a linear operator that is equal to its own adjoint and plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it represents physical observables and has real eigenvalues. Not all operators can be hermitian and they are different from unitary operators. Some examples of hermitian operators include position, momentum, and energy operators in quantum mechanics, as well as angular momentum and spin operators.
merkamerka
How can I formally demonstrate this relations with hermitian operators?[tex](A^{\dagger})^{\dagger}=A [/tex]
[tex](AB)^{\dagger}=B^{\dagger}A^{\dagger} [/tex]
[tex]\langle x|A^{\dagger}y \rangle=\langle y|Ax \rangle ^*[/tex]
[tex]If \ A \ is \ hermitian \ and \ invertible, \ then \ A^{-1} \ is \ hermitian[/tex]

I've tried to prove them taking the definition of hermitian operator or/and considering matrices while operating, but I want something more formal.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how about using
[tex]
AA^{-1}= \mathbb{I}
[/tex]

1. What is a hermitian operator?

A hermitian operator is a mathematical term that describes a linear operator that is equal to its own adjoint. In other words, the operator and its adjoint have the same matrix representation.

2. How are hermitian operators related to quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. They also have real eigenvalues, which correspond to the possible outcomes of measurements in quantum systems.

3. Can all operators be hermitian?

No, not all operators can be hermitian. In order for an operator to be hermitian, it must satisfy the condition that its adjoint is equal to its conjugate transpose. This means that the operator must be square and have real-valued elements on its diagonal.

4. How are hermitian operators different from unitary operators?

While both hermitian and unitary operators have important roles in quantum mechanics, they are fundamentally different. A hermitian operator represents an observable quantity, while a unitary operator represents a transformation of a quantum state. Additionally, hermitian operators have real eigenvalues, while unitary operators have complex eigenvalues with unit magnitude.

5. What are some examples of hermitian operators?

Some examples of hermitian operators include the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics, as well as the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a quantum system. Other examples include the angular momentum operator and the spin operator.