Some questions about Faraday heaping

• Thread starter hchs9818
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Faraday
In summary, a phenomenon called Faraday heaping occurs when a container filled with mustard seeds is vibrated vertically with a frequency between 1-10 Hz. There is an interest in designing an experiment to investigate this phenomenon, but difficulties have arisen in creating a vibrator with the necessary frequency range. Suggestions have been made to use an audio speaker or sub-woofer connected to a computer with an audio generating program, or to use an electric motor with an unbalanced wheel and variable power supply. There is also interest in observing this phenomenon in collaboration with others.
hchs9818
Here is a a simply description:
When a container filled with mustard seeds(small sphere) is vibrated vertically with a frequency between 1 - 10 Hz,we see Faraday heaping occurs.

I want to know how do I design a experiment to investigate this phenomenon?
We have problems in making a vibrator to make frequency between 1-10Hz?
Thank you very much for your help!

Yours truly,

Christina.

Physics news on Phys.org
Audio speaker or sub-woofer and an adjustable audio source such as LabView. Office Depot has "off the shelf" computer speaker systems for cheap.

Sorry, I think Faraday Heaping is not a phenomenon about electric and engineering, it is a interesting phenomenon discovered by Faraday several hundred years ago! This is a essay about this:
http://doc.utwente.nl/58270/1/interplay_of_air_and_sand.pdf

Thanks you very much!

>> I want to know how do I design a experiment to investigate this phenomenon?

In a hurry? Get a one or more speaker(s) as a vibration table, connect it to a computer and use an audio generating program like LabView to control sound vibrations. If you want you could borrow a complex wave generator from a lab or build something exotic or just check out this link:
http://cnx.org/content/m15510/latest/ http://cnx.org/content/col10507/latest/

Please forgive me if this is still too much to do. Hopefully this will at least give you ideas and then maybe someone else has an easier solution?

Wishing you all the best on your project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please let us know how it turns out - Thanks!

Thanks a lot for you help!
But I wonder can a speaker vibreate a bottle of mustard seeds?

Really appretiate for you help^^

You might want to try an electric motor driving an unbalanced wheel and fed with a variable power supply.A low voltage motor should do the job eg a d.c. motor powered by a battery through a variable resistor.

I'm from China.I don't speak good English——I hope you understand my words.I'm also working on this problem and I am building a machine to help solve the problem.However,I didn't observe the phenomenon that was supposed to happen when I just vibrated it by my own hands.I wonder under what condition can one observe the phenomenon.Can you tell me if you have once observed the phenomenon? Maybe we can co-operate on this.Looking forward to your reply.

hchs9818 said:
Here is a a simply description:
When a container filled with mustard seeds(small sphere) is vibrated vertically with a frequency between 1 - 10 Hz,we see Faraday heaping occurs.
I want to know how do I design a experiment to investigate this phenomenon?
Thank you very much for your help!
Yours truly,Christina.

taishizhiqiu said:
I'm from China.I don't speak good English——I hope you understand my words.I'm also working on this problem and I am building a machine to help solve the problem.However,I didn't observe the phenomenon that was supposed to happen when I just vibrated it by my own hands.I wonder under what condition can one observe the phenomenon.Can you tell me if you have once observed the phenomenon? Maybe we can co-operate on this.Looking forward to your reply.

Hi,Christina:
I think you need a certain facility to finish the experiment. There are many kinds of vibrating machines. You can choose a vertical-vibrating machine. The frequency is a very important parameter. Maybe you have to do the same experiments under different frequency. So a steady frequency is necessary.A number of audio speakers can't offer a steady and exact frequency.

Hi,Chinese:
我想过这个问题,怎么去振动容器。容器应该是密闭的。我认为振动的时候应该是正弦x=Asint的受迫振动。这样的振动比较简单好分析研究,而且具有周期性。有很多振动器都是正弦型的。而且振幅也是个问题,振幅应该和粒子的大小有一定关系的时候现象比较明显。
我以前想过能不能用匀速率,就是速度大小不变,瞬间很快的改变速度方向,但是好像在短时间高频率的情况下这种条件不好实现。而且找了找仪器也是正弦的比较多见。你是不是在准备CUPT?
以上都是我的猜测。

hello chiristina I am amir
now i have this problem , like you if you can ,and if you want to help me , you can email me
i write my email down:
armojaveri@gmail.com

1. What is Faraday heaping?

Faraday heaping is the phenomenon where particles or materials accumulate at the edges of a liquid surface when an electric field is applied.

2. How does Faraday heaping occur?

Faraday heaping occurs due to the interaction between the electric field and the surface tension of the liquid. The electric field causes the particles to move and accumulate at the edges where the surface tension is higher.

3. What factors affect the extent of Faraday heaping?

The extent of Faraday heaping is affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the properties of the liquid, and the size and charge of the particles.

4. What are the applications of Faraday heaping?

Faraday heaping has applications in various fields such as microfluidics, materials science, and biology. It can be used for particle manipulation, surface patterning, and cell sorting.

5. Can Faraday heaping be controlled?

Yes, Faraday heaping can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electric field, the properties of the liquid, and the size and charge of the particles. It can also be controlled by changing the frequency and amplitude of the electric field.