Some questions about this vintage periodic table

In summary, the art supply store had an old periodic table that had aesthetic value to the purchaser. The purchaser studied the table for a month and was comfortable with 80% of the information. The purchaser is posting this to the QM forum instead of Chemistry because their undergraduate degree is in physics. The table includes the name of the element for Nobelium, which was accepted by IUPAC in 1957.
jmatt
TL;DR Summary
quantum number, orbitals, periodic chart
I was recently in an art supply store and saw a print of a vintage periodic table that I thought had real aesthetic value. I bought it and like any enthusiast I hung it in my bathroom. For the past month I have been studying it as I brush my teeth and feel comfortable with 80% of the information. I am posting this to the QM forum rather than Chemistry because my undergraduate degree is in physics, and I feel more at home here. Here is the print ...

Here is a closeup of Nitrogen ...

Here is a small key to the chart ...

Question 1

I do not understand the "X" with numbers that represent Valence electrons. I assume it has to do with the rules of adding electrons to orbitals but symbolism here escapes me.

Question 2

Looking at the way the information is presented and the content, about what year do you think this was created?

Any other comments on the presentation and information are welcome! I hope this is appropriate for this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_4879.jpg
    IMG_4879.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5013 (002).jpg
    IMG_5013 (002).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5014 (002).jpg
    IMG_5014 (002).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 64
Physics news on Phys.org
jmatt said:
Looking at the way the information is presented and the content, about what year do you think this was created?
The fact that the atomic weight of oxygen is given as exactly 16.0000 suggests that it was made before 1961, since that was the year in which the atomic mass unit was redefined to be 1/12 of the mass of the carbon-12 isotope instead of 1/16 of the mass of a naturally occurring mixture of oxygen isotopes.

Likes vanhees71
Also, element 103 is missing, which is Lawrencium (discovered 1961).
Technetium (element 43 ) is present in the table, this element was named in 1947.

Likes vanhees71 and phinds
I asked chatgpt to give me a sorted list (by year of the current naming of the element) of the elements from the periodic table, and it gave for Nobelium the year 1957, which is already in the table. The wiki page tells me 1957 was the official year of discovery, so it might be that the name was not given in exactly this year (for example Technetium was already discovered in 1937).

bigfooted said:
I asked chatgpt
ChatGPT is not a reliable source. Please do not post material from ChatGPT.

• Love
Likes vanhees71, bigfooted, DrClaude and 2 others
bigfooted said:
The wiki page tells me 1957 was the official year of discovery
For Nobelium, I think it's more complicated than that. Here is the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobelium

A Swedish team at the Nobel Institute claimed discovery in 1957, but it's not clear how widely accepted their claims were since a team at Berkeley repeated their experiment in 1958 and were unable to detect what the Swedish team claimed to have detected. As the article notes, later work made it much more likely that the Swedish team was actually detecting thorium-225.

That said, the article does say that the name Nobelium for element 102 was accepted by IUPAC in 1957, so that in itself might have been enough to convince a maker of periodic tables to include it with that name, even if the full details of its discovery were still in dispute.

Likes vanhees71
It looks just like the one that hung on the wall of my high school Chemistry class back in the late 60's/early 70's.

Likes jmatt and vanhees71
Thanks everyone. Any thoughts on the "X" and valence electrons?

Those tiny figures in the X show the most probable (the most common) oxydation number states. For Nitrogen, they give -3 (for metallic compounds, or for NH_3), +2 for NO, and +5 for N_2 O_5.

Ahh ... thanks! Lot of information in one little graphic.

Likes vanhees71
phyzguy said:
It looks just like the one that hung on the wall of my high school Chemistry class back in the late 60's/early 70's.
Mine too! I think it was popular in that era.

1. What is a vintage periodic table?

A vintage periodic table is a version of the periodic table of elements that was created and used during a specific time period in the past. It may differ from the modern periodic table in terms of organization, layout, and information included.

2. When was the vintage periodic table created?

The vintage periodic table was first created in the 19th century by Dmitri Mendeleev. However, it has been updated and revised multiple times since then, with different versions being used throughout the 20th century.

3. How is the vintage periodic table different from the modern one?

The vintage periodic table may differ from the modern one in terms of organization, layout, and information included. For example, some versions may have different groupings of elements or may not include all of the elements that are known today.

4. Why is the vintage periodic table still relevant?

The vintage periodic table is still relevant because it provides a historical perspective on the development of our understanding of the elements. It also allows us to see how the periodic table has evolved over time and how our knowledge of the elements has expanded.

5. Are vintage periodic tables still used in science today?

While the modern periodic table is the standard in most scientific fields, vintage periodic tables may still be used for educational or historical purposes. Some scientists may also use vintage versions for specific research purposes, but the modern periodic table is generally the most widely used and accepted version in the scientific community.