1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions in Queueing Theory

1. Dec 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In$$ M/M/1/FCFS/c/\infty $$
    I don't know what is offered load and effective load.
    Wiki say offered load is equal to the expected number in the system, and I found offered load is equal to the ρ=λ/μ, where λ is the average arrive rate. And the μ is the average service time. And I don't know which one is true , and I can't find the information about effective load.
    Thank you . :^)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please clarify: some authors use the notation A/B/C/D?E/F is slightly different order, so you need to tell us what the ##c## stands for. My guess is that you have an infinite calling population but a finite queue capacity; is that correct?

You need to show your work; it is not enough to just say you don't know what to do. In particluar, if the 'c' means that a total of c customers can be accommodated (one in service and c-1 waiting) then some 'arriving' customers will not enter the system because it is full. In particular, you need to be careful when using such results as ##L = \bar{\lambda} W,## etc.

4. Dec 11, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe the definition of offered load is mean arrival rate * mean service time, so λ/μ. Looks to me that for a queue of finite capacity the effective load is based on the effective arrival rate, which discounts arrivals when the queue is full. See e.g. http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/udlpms/ISE 265/set4 queuing theory.ppt.
    However, care must be taken in using this. You can't simply treat a queue of limited capacity as being an infinite queue with a reduced offered load.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted