Some questions on preparing for co-op

• Thread starter osnarf
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks in advance!I think it would be a better idea to focus on getting your c++ knowledge up to speed, and then once you're proficient in that, you can start learning MATLAB.
osnarf
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on looking for a co-op for next summer, and I had a few questions. I am a double major in Aerospace Engineering and Electrical Engineering. I'm about equally progressed through them, as of right now (all general education is complete also). I am wondering what would make me most marketable for a co-op. For Fall 2011 and Spring 2012, should I continue to take equal amounts of courses for both majors, or concentrate mostly on one or the other? Additionally, there are two clubs I am interested in that I feel would be beneficial: the robotics club and the Society of Automotive Engineers (specifically the motorsports club). Both are active in competitions.

It seems like it would be better to pick one or the other, although then I'd have to do exactly the opposite one year, and I feel like it might be too big of a gap between similar classes. If I went this route the choice of club would be pretty obvious.

If I just keep doing both equally, I feel like it would be better for my coursework. However, I'm concerned that if I do that, I won't really be progressed far enough in one or the other to have a good chance at a co-op. If I go this route, which club do you think would look better? They both sound like they would be fun, so I don't really have a personal preference.

Some other relevant info:
-I'd be taking 10 courses between the two semesters (probably split either 5/5 or 2/8 between the majors - also making me wonder how big of a difference it would really make since it's only 3 classes)
-I'm at UCF in Orlando. A lot of engineering students do co-ops with Lockheed, which is in the area and has some ties to the school (although it's definitely not the only option).
-EE outline: http://www.catalog.sdes.ucf.edu/academic_programs/pdf/Electrical_Engineering_BSEE.pdf"
-AE outline: http://www.catalog.sdes.ucf.edu/academic_programs/pdf/Aerospace_Engineering_BSAE.pdf"

Other questions:
-What else can I do to help my cause?
-What courses out of these do you think would look best to have completed to a co-op employer? (EDIT: EE advisor said the only thing they really look for is Electrical Networks, but I assume that's the bare minimum and there may be some other important courses they look for)
-Course descriptions: http://www.catalog.sdes.ucf.edu/courses_and_descriptions/UCF_Courses_and_Descriptions.pdf"

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: I'd also like to try to get involved in undergrad research Fall 2012, so if you have any advice on that that relates to the above questions, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm an EE student who worked a co-op job that was aerospace related. Here are some things that might be relevant or make you more desirable:

probability and statistics course
experience with programming
experience with unix-like operating systems
experience with modeling and simulation in software, tools such as MatLab
experience with logic analyzer

Embedded systems are an essential part of many aerospace projects, and I suppose taking that course might make you appear more desirable as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I've taken prob and stats, although I will brush up on it before interviewing for any coops. Unfortunately as I haven't taken digital systems yet, the earliest I would be able to take embedded systems is summer of next year. However, it seems like that is something I would be able to get at least a little bit of experience with in the robotics club, so +1 for that? The adviser also told me that some co-op employers may be willing to let you take a class over the summer, does anyone have experience to confirm this?

I've always found my MATLAB aptitude to be more than proficient for any projects assigned in my courses, but I still feel like it's all generally baby stuff compared to what I would need to use it for in a work environment. Do you think my time would be better spent going further with MATLAB and trying to get at least a working knowledge of simulink, or getting my c++ knowledge up to speed? I've always been more of a C person, but it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch to learn C++.

1. How do I prepare for a co-op?

To prepare for a co-op, you should start by researching potential companies or organizations that offer co-op opportunities in your field of interest. You can also attend career fairs, network with professionals in your field, and update your resume and cover letter. It is also important to brush up on your skills and knowledge related to your field and practice for interviews.

2. How long does it take to find a co-op?

The length of time it takes to find a co-op can vary depending on a variety of factors such as your field of interest, the current job market, and your own preparation and qualifications. On average, it can take several months to secure a co-op position. It is important to start your search early and be persistent in your efforts.

3. What should I expect during a co-op?

During a co-op, you can expect to gain practical experience in your field, work alongside professionals, and apply the knowledge and skills you have learned in your academic studies. You may also have the opportunity to take on new and challenging tasks, learn new techniques and technologies, and build your professional network.

4. How can I make the most out of my co-op experience?

To make the most out of your co-op experience, it is important to have a positive attitude, be open to learning and trying new things, and actively engage with your colleagues and supervisors. Take initiative, ask questions, and seek feedback to continuously improve and make the most out of the learning opportunities provided by your co-op.

5. Will my co-op experience help me in my future career?

Yes, your co-op experience can greatly benefit your future career. It can provide you with valuable hands-on experience, help you develop new skills, and expand your professional network. It can also make you more attractive to potential employers and give you a better understanding of your career goals and interests.