1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions on Special and Newtonian Relativity

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 1: Is Ohm's Law (V = IR) invariant under Galilean transformations?
    Question 2: Model the earth as an ellipsoid or a spheroid, and find the lowest order correction to the inverse square law at points inside and outside the earth's surface.

2. Relevant equations

--

3. The attempt at a solution

Question 1: Using the low velocity regime of the Lorentz transformations, we see that j = j', E = E' and so

[tex]j = \sigma E[/itex]

is invariant in both reference frames. As lengths are invariant under a Galilean transformation, this is equivalent to V = IR in all inertial frames. Is this correct?

Can this be argued without using the Lorentz transformations, i.e. without treating Galilean transformations as a special case of the Lorentz transformation for [itex]v << c[/itex]?

(Also, can resistivity or conductivity be regarded as a Lorentz invariant scalar?)

Question 2: This has me stumped right now....I don't understand what has to be done here. I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2
    Anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook