Some simple integral questions

• Thread starter Emethyst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Then the numerator will be simply 2+u.In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate three different integrals involving fractions on given intervals. The first integral involves a substitution using the derivative of sqrt(x), while the second and third integrals can be solved by dividing and using a clever multiplication technique.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integrals: a) (2+x)/(2sqrtx) on the interval [4,9] b) (e^-x + 1)/e^-x on the interval [0,ln2] c) 1/(sqrtx - sqrt(x-1)) on the interval [1,5]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher has said that these questions should be like other basic antiderivative questions, but they seem to be stumping me, probably because of the fractions involved. In short I have no idea where to start with these questions, even though (supposedly) the answers are not that hard to find. If anyone can get me started on the right path for these questions here it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) What is the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]. Do you see now what kind of substitution you can use?

b) Carry out the division. (a+b)c=a/c+b/c, it gives you a very simple integral.

c) Try multiplying by "1", with that I mean something of the form x/x, (x-1)/(x-1) etc. Do you see a good expression for "1"?

Thanks for the help cyosis, I was able to get b) and c). I'm still confused on a), however. I know that the derivative is 1/2x^-1/2, but I don't know how to bring the (2+x) into the anitderivative though, unless you mean substitution using another variable.

Make a substitution [itex]u=\sqrt{x}[/itex]. You should recognize the derivative of this in the denominator of the integrand.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How is an integral calculated?

An integral is calculated by taking the limit of a sum of infinitely many rectangles under a curve. This process is known as integration.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, which define the interval over which the function is being integrated. An indefinite integral does not have specific limits, and instead represents a family of functions that differ by a constant value.

4. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus related to integrals?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. This means that if we integrate a function and then differentiate the resulting integral, we will get back the original function.

5. What are some common applications of integrals?

Integrals are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as calculating volumes, finding the center of mass, and solving differential equations. They are also used in economics, physics, and statistics to model and analyze real-world situations.