Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some technical questions about spans and bases

1. Jan 6, 2013 #1
    I have some technical questions about spans and bases which my textbook really does not cover very well. I would appreciate answers to them. They are not textbook problems, merely specific quesitons relating to the definitions of "span" and "basis".

1) If span(S) = V, need the elements of S be in V?
    2) If S is a basis for V, need the elements of S be in V?
    3) If S spans V, does S span every subspace of V?
    4) If S is a basis for V, is S a basis for every subspace of V?
    5) If S is linearly independent, is every subset of S also linearly independent?
    6) If S is linearly dependent, is every superset of S also linearly dependent?

If I am not wrong, the answers to the questions are:
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) No
    5) Yes
    6) Yes

But I would like explicit confirmation.
    All help is appreciated. Thanks.

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

All correct. For a strict mathematical formulation, you should let everything be a part of a vector space W (can be identical to V, but then questions 1 and 2 are meaningless).

The span of S contains every subspace of V as subset.

4. Jan 6, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I disagree about (3).

If S spans V and W is a subspace of V, then the elements of S may not all be in W, so "S spans W" might contradicts the (correct IMO) answer to (1).

Also the definition of "span" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_span implies that there is only ONE space that is spanned by a given set S - namely, the intersection of all subspaces of V that contain (all the vectors in) S.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook