1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some verification of equation on the article of Bessel Function

1. Jul 14, 2013 #1
    I want to verify there are typos in page 11 of http://math.arizona.edu/~zakharov/BesselFunctions.pdf

1) Right below equation (51)

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\left(e^{j\theta}-e^{-j\theta}\right)^{n+q}e^{-jn\theta}=\left(1-e^{-2j\theta}\right)^n\left(e^{j\theta}-e^{-j\theta}\right)^q[/tex]
    There should not be ##\frac {1}{2\pi}## on the left hand side. That will not work.

2)Then in equation (52)
    [tex]A_n(z)=\left(\frac z 2 \right)^n\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(n+2k)!}\left(\frac z 2 \right)^k I_{k,n} [/tex]
    Should have a 2 in the power of k. Also, since ##p=n+2k##, It should be:
    [tex]A_n(z)=\left(\frac z 2\right)^n\sum_{n+2k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(n+2k)!}\left(\frac z 2\right)^{2k} I_{k,n} [/tex]
    As ##p=n+q## where ##q=2k## for even order. Therefore ##p=n+2k##.
    To further prove my assertion, if you look at the bottom of the page 11:
    [tex]A_n(z)=\left(\frac z 2 \right)^n\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k!(n+k)!}\left(\frac z 2 \right)^k ≠J_n(z)[/tex]
    [tex]J_n(z)\;=\;\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k!(n+k)!}\left(\frac z 2 \right)^{2k+n} [/tex]

I don't even know how to set the lower limit of the ##\sum## as I stated that the original was ##\sum_{p=0}^{\infty}##, all of a sudden, it becomes ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}## which should be ##\sum_{n+2k=0}^{\infty}##

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2013 #2
    I was thinking, the reason ##\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}## is because even though ##p=n+2k##, n is really a constant and the ##\left(\frac{z}{2}\right)^n## can be moved totally out of the ##\sum##. So the ##\sum## is really for series representation of the exponential functions. Therefore, we start with k=0. What do you think?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted