Something to be clarified about EM Wave: TE, TM and TEM

In summary, TE waves have a zero value for E_z and TM waves have a zero value for H_z. For TEM waves, both E_z and H_z are zero. It is debated whether E_y is also zero in TE waves, with some saying only E_x exists and others saying both E_x and E_y are non-zero. It is recommended to consult a textbook on undergraduate level optics or electrodynamics to understand the meaning of x, y, and z directions. Some recommended textbooks are Griffiths for electrodynamics and Hecht or Ajay Ghatak for optics.
NexusN
I have been reading different articles about EM wave modes,
it is said that in TE waves the E_z is zero, similarly for TM H_z is zero, and TEM both E_z and H_z are zero.

How about the E_x and E_y in TE wave?
Someone said E_y is also zero and only E_x exists in TE...is this true? Is it possible that I overlooked some assumptions made?
Or actually the fact is, for TE, both E_x and E_y are NON-zero; only E_z is zero?

I know this is a simple question but I do hope to confirm it earlier and proceed with my study, thanks for your kind attention.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Please go through a textbook of UG level optics or electrodynamics & then in your problem specify what x,y,z directions mean.
You may refer Griffiths (electrodynamics), Hecht/ Ajay Ghatak (optics).

1. What is the difference between TE, TM, and TEM waves?

TE, TM, and TEM waves are different types of electromagnetic (EM) waves that have different modes of propagation. TE (transverse electric) waves have a purely electric field perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while TM (transverse magnetic) waves have a purely magnetic field perpendicular to the direction of propagation. TEM (transverse electromagnetic) waves have both electric and magnetic fields perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

2. Which type of EM wave is used in communication systems?

TE and TM waves are commonly used in communication systems. For example, microwaves used in wireless communication are typically TM waves, while optical fibers used in fiber optic communication use TE waves.

3. How are TE and TM waves generated?

TE and TM waves can be generated by oscillating electric and magnetic fields, respectively. In practical applications, these waves are generated using antennas or other devices that produce oscillating electric or magnetic fields.

4. What are the advantages of using TEM waves?

TEM waves have the advantage of having a constant propagation velocity, unlike TE and TM waves which can have varying velocities depending on the medium they are traveling through. This makes TEM waves useful in long-distance communication systems, such as radio broadcasting.

5. Can TE, TM, and TEM waves exist in the same medium?

No, TE, TM, and TEM waves cannot exist in the same medium at the same time. This is because the conditions for each type of wave to exist are different, and they cannot coexist in the same medium without canceling each other out. However, a wave can transition between TE, TM, and TEM modes as it propagates through different materials.