Sorry I need so much help, my tutor is done for the semester

In summary, to find the spring constant of the spring, we can use the equation k = mg/x. Using this formula and the given values, we can calculate the spring constant to be 26.8943 N/m. To find the angular frequency of the block's vibrations, we can use the equation omega = sq rt(k/m). Using this formula and the calculated value for k, we can find the angular frequency to be 7.83329 rad/s.
Kris1120

Homework Statement

A spring is hung from the ceiling. A 0.483-kg block is then attached to the free end of the spring. When released from rest, the block drops 0.176 m before momentarily coming to rest. (a) What is the spring constant of the spring? (b) Find the angular frequency of the block's vibrations.

Homework Equations

(a) F = kx
(b) omega = sq rt(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) k = mg/x
= (0.483 kg)(9.81 m/s) / 0.176 m
= 26.8943 N/m

(b) sq rt( 26.8943 N/m / 0.4383 kg) = 7.83329 rad/s

Physics news on Phys.org
well your logic looks right, i did the calculation for part a and got 26.92, not sure if that's where your mistake is...

Kris1120 said:
A spring is hung from the ceiling. A 0.483-kg block is then attached to the free end of the spring. When released from rest, the block drops 0.176 m before momentarily coming to rest.

(a) F = kx

Hi Kris1120! :smile:

Nooo … :frown:

The acceleration is not zero, is it?

Use conservation of energy. :smile:

oooohhhh yeaaaa... i forget a lot after 2 months of no physics... acceleration is at a max when the block is momentarily not moving

1. What can I do to find a new tutor after my current one is done for the semester?

There are a few options you can explore to find a new tutor. You can ask for recommendations from friends or classmates, search online for tutoring services, or reach out to your school's tutoring center for assistance.

2. How do I know if a tutor is qualified to help me?

You can ask for the tutor's credentials, such as their education and experience in the subject area. You can also ask for references or read reviews from previous students to get an idea of their teaching style and effectiveness.

3. Can I continue working with my current tutor after the semester ends?

It depends on the availability and agreement of your tutor. You can discuss the possibility of continuing tutoring sessions with them and come to a mutual agreement.

4. Is there a way to get help from my current tutor during the break between semesters?

You can reach out to your tutor and ask if they are available to provide assistance during the break. They may be able to help you on a freelance basis or refer you to another qualified tutor.

5. What should I do if I cannot find a new tutor before the semester ends?

You can try self-studying or utilizing online resources to supplement your learning until you find a new tutor. You can also reach out to your professor or teaching assistant for additional support and guidance.