1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound intensity at a microphone

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A concert loudspeaker suspended high off the ground emits 28.0W of sound power. A small microphone with a 0.900cm^2 area is 51.0m from the speaker.

A) What is I at the microphone?

B) How much sound energy impinges on the microphone in J?

2. Relevant equations
    I = P/A
    I = 4pir^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved the answer to part A):

I = 28W/4pi(51)^2 = 8.57*10^-4 W/m^2

The answer to part B is what's eluding me:

I know that at the microphone I = 8.57*10^-4 W/m^2

So:

8.57*10^-4 = P/.009m^2

P = 7.713*10^-6 W which is equal to J/s

Therefore my answer would be 7.713*10^-6 J of sound energy are impinged each second.

Mastering Physics is disagreeing with me. Any advice?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
    If I am doing something wrong or have not provided enough information, please let me know.

I must be missing something with this problem, because I can't seem to come up with a different answer than what I have shown.

Do I have the right approach? Am I making it too complicated by using the Intensity equation twice? Just a small nudge in the right direction would do wonders for me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    Okay, took me long enough, but I found my error! As usual, it's a stupid one!

They reported the area of the mic as .9cm^2, originally I converted the dimension linearly saying that that was equal to .009m^2. In actuality the area is .00009m^2.

Duh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?