Sound Intensity Level of Three Objects

In summary, the given problem is asking to find the resultant loudness of three sounds, but with only two equations and three unknowns, it is not possible to find a numerical solution. It is best to clarify with the teacher whether the question should be the resultant loudness of the three sounds, or the sum of the loudnesses of the three sounds.
songoku

Homework Statement

Given that:
TI1 + TI2 = 70 dB
TI2 + TI3 = 80 dB

Find TI1 + TI2 + TI3

Homework Equations

TI = 10 log (I/Io)

The Attempt at a Solution

From that two equations, I got:
I1.I2 = 10-17
I2.I3 = 10-16
I1.I22.I3 = 10-33

Then stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
"1. Homework Statement
Given that:
TI1 + TI2 = 70 dB
TI2 + TI3 = 80 dB

Find TI1 + TI2 + TI3"

Don't you have three unknowns and only two equations, your stuck?

Spinnor said:
"1. Homework Statement
Given that:
TI1 + TI2 = 70 dB
TI2 + TI3 = 80 dB

Find TI1 + TI2 + TI3"

Don't you have three unknowns and only two equations, your stuck?

Sorry I don't really get what you mean. But anyway, how to solve for three unknowns with only two equations?

songoku said:
bump

I think I'm mistaken above. See page 5 of the following link for examples of adding sounds. If you are still having trouble I will give it a second shot.

http://faculty.delhi.edu/hultendc/AECT350-Lecture%202-REV.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Spinnor said:
I think I'm mistaken above. See page 5 of the following link for examples of adding sounds. If you are still having trouble I will give it a second shot.

http://faculty.delhi.edu/hultendc/AECT350-Lecture%202-REV.pdf

Let us discuss the question in the your link first, page 5.

The answer for example 1 is 100.41 dB. I tried other working and got different result. Here it is:
L1 = sound intensity level = 100 dB and L2 = 90 dB

L = 10 log (I/Io), where Io = 10-12

L1 = 100
10 log (I1/Io) = 100
log (I1/10-12) = 10
I1/10-12 = 1010
I1 = 10-2 W/m2

With the same working, I2 = 10-3 W/m2

The question is asking about Ltotal = L1 + L2, so:
Ltotal = L1 + L2
= 10 log (I1/Io) + 10 log (I2/Io)
= 10 I1 - 10 log 10-12 + 10 log I2 - 10 log 10-12
= 10 log (I1.I2) + 240
= 10 log 10-5 + 240
= 190 dB

Where is my mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
songoku said:
Let us discuss the question in the your link first, page 5.

The answer for example 1 is 100.41 dB. I tried other working and got different result. Here it is:
L1 = sound intensity level = 100 dB and L2 = 90 dB

L = 10 log (I/Io), where Io = 10-12

L1 = 100
10 log (I1/Io) = 100
log (I1/10-12) = 10
I1/10-12 = 1010
I1 = 10-2 W/m2

With the same working, I2 = 10-3 W/m2

The question is asking about Ltotal = L1 + L2,

The loudness is not additive. Add the powers, and calculate the resultant loudness from resultant power.

I=I1+I2= (0.01+0.001) W/m2
L=10 log(0.011/10-12))

ehild

ehild said:
The loudness is not additive. Add the powers, and calculate the resultant loudness from resultant power.

I=I1+I2= (0.01+0.001) W/m2
L=10 log(0.011/10-12))

ehild

Oh ok. But how to solve my question? I don't think we can find the sound intensity or power

songoku said:

Homework Statement

Given that:
TI1 + TI2 = 70 dB
TI2 + TI3 = 80 dB

Find TI1 + TI2 + TI3

I do not understand the original problem. What are Tl1, Tl2, Tl3? Is the original question the same what you wrote?

ehild

ehild said:
I do not understand the original problem. What are Tl1, Tl2, Tl3? Is the original question the same what you wrote?

ehild

Yes, that's all the problem given, verbatim.

TI there is sound intensity, exactly the same as L, expressed in dB and has formula:
TI = L = 10 log (I/Io), where Io = 1012

Sorry, I still do not understand what was meant on the '+'. The loudness of two sounds is not the sum of the loudnesses. Was it said that the resultant loudness of two sounds is 70 db or the sum of loudnesses is 70 db? Anyway, there are three unknowns and two equation, you can not get numerical solution. Ask your teacher what he/she meant.

ehild

ehild said:
Sorry, I still do not understand what was meant on the '+'. The loudness of two sounds is not the sum of the loudnesses. Was it said that the resultant loudness of two sounds is 70 db or the sum of loudnesses is 70 db? Anyway, there are three unknowns and two equation, you can not get numerical solution. Ask your teacher what he/she meant.

ehild

Ok I will. Anyway, what is the difference between "the resultant loudness of two sounds is 70" and "the sum of loudnesses is 70 db"?

You saw it in the previous problem, when the resultant of the 100 db and 90 db sources was the question. You added the intensities (power/unit area) and calculated the loudness (dB) from it, instead of adding the decibel values.
I wonder if your teacher meant that the loudness of the resultant intensity of two sound sources is 70 dB or really the sum of two dB values is 70 as you wrote in the original post.

ehild

ehild said:
You saw it in the previous problem, when the resultant of the 100 db and 90 db sources was the question. You added the intensities (power/unit area) and calculated the loudness (dB) from it, instead of adding the decibel values.
I wonder if your teacher meant that the loudness of the resultant intensity of two sound sources is 70 dB or really the sum of two dB values is 70 as you wrote in the original post.

ehild

So can I say that "the sum of loudnesses is 70 db" does not exist and "the resultant loudness of two sounds is 70" is the correct term?

If the question asks about "the resultant loudness of the three sounds", can we solve it?

songoku said:
So can I say that "the sum of loudnesses is 70 db" does not exist and "the resultant loudness of two sounds is 70" is the correct term?

If the question asks about "the resultant loudness of the three sounds", can we solve it?

No, with two equation for three unknows.

ehild

ehild said:
No, with two equation for three unknows.

ehild

OK thanks for the help :smile:

What is sound intensity level?

Sound intensity level is a measure of the loudness of a sound, which is determined by the amount of energy that is transferred per second through a unit area perpendicular to the direction of the sound wave.

How is sound intensity level measured?

The unit used to measure sound intensity level is decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic scale. The higher the decibel level, the louder the sound. Sound intensity level can be measured using a sound level meter.

What affects the sound intensity level of an object?

The sound intensity level of an object can be affected by various factors such as the distance from the source of the sound, the size and shape of the object, and the material it is made of. Other factors include the frequency and duration of the sound.

How does the sound intensity level of three objects compare?

The sound intensity level of three objects can vary depending on their characteristics. Generally, the larger and denser the object, the higher its sound intensity level. Objects made of materials that absorb sound, such as soft surfaces, will have a lower sound intensity level compared to objects made of reflective materials.

Can the sound intensity level of an object be changed?

The sound intensity level of an object can be changed by altering its physical properties, such as its size, shape, and material. The distance from the source of the sound can also affect the sound intensity level. Additionally, using sound-absorbing materials or soundproofing techniques can decrease the sound intensity level of an object.