Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sources to learn about Berry phases and Adiabatic Theorem

1. Aug 26, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I recently went through Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics text and there is a chapter called the Adiabatic Theorem that includes Berry phase and the Aharonov-Bohm effect.
    As I found them very interesting, I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with some good sources(books, internet links etc) to learn more about them.
    Please keep in mind that I am only an undergraduate student, so difficult graduate stuff might not be of very use for me.
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2015 #2

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sakurai explains it quite well in chapter 5. Chapter 2 includes the aharonov boom effect which is then covered again in chapter 5.

4. Aug 26, 2015 #3
    thanks for answering!But isn't sakurai a graduates test?

5. Aug 26, 2015 #4

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

After you've read the first half of Griffiths you should be able to understand it. When I learned quantum mechanics, I read the first few chapters of Griffiths and Shankar and then went straight to Sakurai. Also, the adiabatic theorem and Berry's phases are very subtle topics. In order to understand them well you need to know a lot of the stuff in Sakurai at least.

6. Aug 26, 2015 #5
    ok,thanks..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook