Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space Requirements for Industrial Cabinets

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    Quick question. If the manufacturer's specs ask for clearance top and bottom when mounting in the cabinet, does that usually mean actual open space? For example, I am using Watlow Power Controllers that require 4 in. of clearance top and bottom. I have about 2 in. spacing with a 2x3 in. wireway above and below. The Watlows are probably 5-6 inches deep and the wireway is 3 in. deep. Would this affect the air flow and nullify any manufacturer warranties?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Usually.
    depends on the designs and the room - does the wireway affect air-flow? - is it your information that the clearance is needed for air-flow?
    That would be a legal question - you should put it to the manufacturer or their agents... or a lawyer.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3
    That's what I was hoping to find out; if the wireways affect air flow. Using wireways that are slotted and also will only be about 50% full.
    The problem is the overall layout. Customer specified cabinet size so space is limited. May be a tight squeeze for all components. Electrician may not be happy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook