Space shuttle releases a sattelite into a circular orbit

In summary, the space shuttle must be moving at a speed of 7520 m/s (relative to the Earth's center) when it releases a satellite into a circular orbit 680 km above the Earth. This can be calculated using the equation sqr(G*m(earth)/r), where r is the distance between the Earth's center and the satellite. The units for r should be in meters, not kilometers.
jmcmillian
The space shuttle releases a sattelite into a circular orbit 680 km above the Earth. How fast must the shuttle be moving (relative to the Earth's center) when the release occurs?

I know that G (m*m(earth)/r^2) = m (v^2/r)...with r = r(earth) + h. In this equation, r=6380+680=7060 km. There also a manipulation of the given equations in the examples for velocity, sqr(G*m(earth)/r))

I am probably thinking along the wrong lines, but shouldn't the shuttle be moving at the same speed needed to keep the satellite in orbit?

So that is my approach to the problem thus far - trying to find the velocity of the satellite and equating it to the velocity of the shuttle upon release. To do that, I've used the sqr(G*m(earth)/r)) equation, which gives me:

sqr((6.67*10^-11)(5.98*10^24)/(7060))=237690 m/s. This isn't even close to the given answer in the book, 7520 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
jmcmillian said:
The space shuttle releases a sattelite into a circular orbit 680 km above the Earth. How fast must the shuttle be moving (relative to the Earth's center) when the release occurs?I know that G (m*m(earth)/r^2) = m (v^2/r)...with r = r(earth) + h. In this equation, r=6380+680=7060 km. There also a manipulation of the given equations in the examples for velocity, sqr(G*m(earth)/r))

I am probably thinking along the wrong lines, but shouldn't the shuttle be moving at the same speed needed to keep the satellite in orbit?

So that is my approach to the problem thus far - trying to find the velocity of the satellite and equating it to the velocity of the shuttle upon release. To do that, I've used the sqr(G*m(earth)/r)) equation, which gives me:

sqr((6.67*10^-11)(5.98*10^24)/(7060))=237690 m/s. This isn't even close to the given answer in the book, 7520 m/s.
What should the units be for R...I am getting an answer very close to what your book says.

Casey

Last edited:
Ah yes, it should be m instead of km. Often times I get caught up in the problem and lose focus in critical things such as units. Thanks for your help.

1. What is a space shuttle release and how does it work?

A space shuttle release is when a space shuttle spacecraft launches a satellite into orbit. This is done by attaching the satellite to the space shuttle and launching it into space. Once the space shuttle reaches the desired altitude and speed, the satellite is released and it continues to orbit the Earth on its own.

2. Why is a satellite released into a circular orbit?

A satellite is released into a circular orbit because it allows for a stable and predictable orbit around the Earth. This type of orbit ensures that the satellite will maintain a constant altitude and remain in a fixed position relative to the Earth's surface.

3. How does the space shuttle release a satellite into a circular orbit?

The space shuttle releases the satellite by using small thrusters to adjust its speed and direction. Once the desired orbit is achieved, the satellite is released from the shuttle and its own propulsion system takes over to maintain its orbit.

4. What are the benefits of launching a satellite into a circular orbit?

Launching a satellite into a circular orbit allows for a variety of applications such as communication, weather forecasting, navigation, and scientific research. It also allows for a longer lifespan of the satellite as it requires less fuel to maintain its orbit.

5. How long does it take for a satellite to reach a circular orbit after being released from the space shuttle?

The time it takes for a satellite to reach a circular orbit depends on the altitude and speed at which it was released. Generally, it takes a few hours to reach a circular orbit, but this can vary depending on the specific mission and trajectory of the satellite.