1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space-time interval invariance question

1. Jan 26, 2009 #1
    Cinsider please the invariance of the space-time interval in an one space dimension approach
    (x-0)2-c2(t-0)2=(x'-0)2-c2(t'-0)2
    My question is: does it hold for arbitrary events (x,t) in I and (x',t') in I?
    Does it hold only in the case when the events are genertated in I and I' by the same light signal (x=ct,t=x/c); (x'=ct',t'=x'/c) or in the case when the events are generated by the same tardyon moving with speed u in I and u' in I' i.e. (x=ut,t=x/u) and (x'=u't', t'=x'/u')?
    Are x and x' the components of a "two" vector or only x=ct, x'=ct' and x=ut, x'=u't', u amd u' being related by the addition law of parallel speeds?
    Thanks for your answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2

clem

Science Advisor

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3

clem

Science Advisor

It holds for any x and t. If x is written as x=ut, then x' will =u't', with u'given by the relativistic velocity addiltion.

5. Jan 26, 2009 #4

clem

Science Advisor

x and t are two components of a four-vector, as are x' and t'. Writing x=ut implies that a consstant velocity, which is not necessary for t^2-x^2 to be invariant.

6. Jan 26, 2009 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The "interval" [itex]-(x^0)^2+\vec x^2[/itex] is invariant because it's the Minkowski space "scalar product" of a four-vector with itself. The "scalar product" (which isn't really a scalar product since the result can be negative) is defined by

[tex]\langle y,x \rangle=y^T\eta x=-y^0x^0+\vec y\cdot\vec x[/tex]

This is invariant under Lorentz transformations because all Lorentz transformations satisfy the condition [itex]\Lambda^T\eta\Lambda=\eta[/itex].

[tex]\langle \Lambda y,\Lambda x\rangle=(\Lambda y)^T\eta (\Lambda x)=y^T\Lambda^T\eta\Lambda x=y^T\eta x=\langle y,x \rangle[/tex]

7. Jan 27, 2009 #6
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]
    Thanks for your answer. Consider please the inertial reference frames I, I' and I" in the standard arrangement. I' moves with velocity V relative to I and I" moves with speed u relative to I and with speed u' relative to I' all speed showing in the positive direction of the overlapped x, x' and x" axes. A rod of proper length L(0) is located along the overlapped axes at rest relative to I". Observers from I measure its Lorentz contracted length
    L=L(0)(1-u2/c2)1/2. (1)
    For observers from I' the length of the same rod is
    L'=L(0)(1-u'2/c2)1/2 (2)
    Eliminating L(0) between (1) and (2) we obtain that the non-proper lengths are related by
    L=L'(1-u2/c2)1/2/(1-u'2)/c21/2) (3)
    Expressing the right side of (3) as a function of u' via the addition law of parallel speeds it becomes
    L=L'(1-V2/c2)1/2)/[1+Vu'/c2] (4)
    resulting that L and L' do not transform via the Lorentz transformation. Under such conditions are L=Dx and L'Dx' the components of a "two vector? Equation (4) suggests that 1/L and 1/L' are. Is there some connection with the concept of wave vector?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?