Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spacecraft discovers solar winds are weakening.

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Ulysses spacecraft, launched in 1990 and now in a polar orbit around the sun at a distance of roughly 240 million miles, is measuring the lowest output of solar winds since the beginning of the space age!(?)

How does he know that? I'm gonna give him a call this afternoon....

Anyone notice an increase in shot noise in their earth-based detectors? Will the increased cosmic rays induce more clouds to form and could that be responsible for the recent cooling off of the earth's atmosphere?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    I would think he is looking back at 'historical' data to draw any conclusions.
    However, looking at the time lines gathering data from Ulysses any comments may be a bit premature.

I have been watching sunspot and choronal hole activity during this low end of the solar cycle. It also seems quite low. However , I do not have the expertise to make a connection between the two. Although I would not be entirely surprised if there was a commonality.

Excellent question. My personal view is, could very well be.
    Within the next several years this may take on much more credence.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?