Spaceship taking circular turn

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving curvilinear motion and finding the angular velocity, radial acceleration, and tangential acceleration. The person mentions converting units and using basic equations to solve the problem. They also mention the equation for angular velocity and its representation.
adp5025
I tried using equations useing different methods of solving this problem but no cigar.

If anyone can help me just to get started that would be grand.

Thanks

A spaceship negotiates a circular turn of radius 3890 km at a speed of 33860 km/h.

(a) What is the magnitude of the angular velocity?
rad/s
(b) What is the magnitude of the radial acceleration?
m/s2
(c) What is the magnitude of the tangential acceleration?
m/s2

Physics news on Phys.org
First, convert given info to correct units; meters and seconds.
Second, use your equations for curviliear motion, they are quite basic.
Third, the answer to c should be obvious, since the problem states that the speed is not changing...

what equation would that be, i don't know one that's called curviliear motion equation.

i know these equations:
angular position
angular velcoity - i would guess to use this but there's not rad given.
angular acceleration

adp5025 said:
angular velcoity - i would guess to use this but there's not rad given.

Angular velocity can also be represented as;

[tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex]

Regards
-Hoot

1. How does a spaceship take a circular turn in space?

A spaceship takes a circular turn in space by using its thrusters. These thrusters can be controlled to provide thrust in different directions, allowing the spaceship to change its trajectory and make a circular turn.

2. Can a spaceship take a circular turn at high speeds?

Yes, a spaceship can take a circular turn at high speeds. However, the faster the spaceship is moving, the more force is required to change its direction. This can put strain on the spaceship's structure and may require more advanced thruster technology.

3. What factors can affect a spaceship's ability to take a circular turn?

Several factors can affect a spaceship's ability to take a circular turn, including its speed, the strength of its thrusters, and the mass and shape of the spaceship. Additionally, external factors such as gravitational pull and nearby objects can also influence the spaceship's ability to maneuver.

4. How does a spaceship maintain its circular trajectory?

A spaceship maintains its circular trajectory by continuously adjusting the direction and strength of its thrusters. This allows the spaceship to counteract the effects of gravity and other external forces that may try to pull it off course.

5. Can a spaceship take a circular turn in any direction?

Yes, a spaceship can take a circular turn in any direction. As long as the spaceship's thrusters are capable of providing enough force, it can change its trajectory and make a circular turn in any direction.