1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spaceship travels at .83 c, relativity

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose our sun is about to explode and we escape in a spaceship toward the star Tau Ceti. When we reach the midpoint of our journey, which takes place at v=.83 C we see our sun explode and, unfortunately, we see Tau Ceti explode as well (we observe the light arriving from each explosion. (there's a part a and b but i understand those parts, so i'll go straight to c and d)

c)In the spaceship frame of reference, how long before we saw the Sun explode did it actually explode? (enter a positive value for times in the past.)

d) In the spaceship frame of reference, how long before we saw Tau Ceta explode did it actually explode?

2. Relevant equations

Δt = [itex]\gamma[/itex](Δt' - v/c2Δx') } S'-->S

3. The attempt at a solution

c) I have worked out an answer using the equation I gave but I'm not sure if its correct.
    I said that S is my frame for the spaceship and S' is my frame for the sun.
    Δt = [itex]\gamma[/itex](Δt' - v/c2Δx')
    so Δt = 1/(sqrt(1-(.83c)2/c2))*((6 years)+(.83c*6c)/c2)
    Δt=19.686 years
    Δt' = 6 years
    So it actually exploded 13.686 years ago?

for part d), i used the same equation but instead used -v
    so Δt = 1/(sqrt√(1-(-.83c)2/c2))*((6 years)+(-.83c*6c)/c2)
    = 1.823 years
    so it actually happened 1.823-6 = -4.171
    4 years into the future? This is the main reason why I'm not believing my answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi harts! welcome to pf! :smile:
    how can you subtract measurements in two different frames? :confused:

(and what do you think "∆" means? :wink:)

4. Jun 3, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply!
    OK, I thought I was finding the difference in time between the two frames, which is why I subtracted the change in time from one frame from the change in time in the other frame. Am I misinterpreting the question?

"In the spaceship frame of reference, how long before we saw the Sun explode did it actually explode?"

5. Jun 4, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi harts! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
    yup! …

both measurements must be made in the spaceship frame …

the time the sun exploded, and the time the light reached the spaceship :wink:

6. Jun 4, 2012 #5
    OK I think I understand it now. I know that the sun actually exploded 6 years ago, but because of relativity I have to use a lorentz transformation to figure out how much time it took for us to see it.

For part c, I use my equation

t'= ((-6 years)-(.83c/c^2)(-6ly))/ sqrt(1-(.83c)^2/c^2)= -1.83

For part d, I use the same equation but use 6 light years for my x value and I got -19.686 years.

I guess it just took me a while to understand those lorentz transformation equations. Thanks tiny tim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook