Spacetime diagrams and proper time

In summary, the conversation is about an image that explains the concept of light cones and the units used to represent them. The red line in the image represents the path of a photon emitted near the horizon of the visible universe, and its long journey to reach the Earth due to the expansion of space. This also shows that the age of the universe is much older than the distance of the furthest objects we can see. The tilted worldlines in the image represent the expansion of spacetime, which affects the velocity of objects in the universe.
FunkyDwarf
Hey guys,

Can someone please explain to me this image:
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/omega0.gif
from the page
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_02.htm

What i do understand:
I understand the concept of light cones
I understand that the units used for the axes means the lines are a 45 degree angle indicate the particle/causaility horizon thing (i think)
I think i understand that non parallel worldlines implies relativistic effects taking place
I don't understand what the red line thing is.

So yeh i don't get much of this, any help would be appriciated =)

Thanks
-G

Space news on Phys.org
FunkyDwarf said:

What i do understand:
I understand the concept of light cones
I understand that the units used for the axes means the lines are a 45 degree angle indicate the particle/causaility horizon thing (i think)
I think i understand that non parallel worldlines implies relativistic effects taking place
I don't understand what the red line thing is.

So yeh i don't get much of this, any help would be appriciated =)

Thanks
-G

I dabble in relativity more than cosmology, but I think I can help a little here. In a normal spacetime diagram in Special Relativity a line at 45 degrees represents the worldline of a light ray. Anything moving slower than the speed of light is tilted at less than than 45 degrees from the vertical and a verticle line is the worldline of a stationary object that is going forward in time which could for example represent the Earth. So usually there are no worldlines tilted at more than 45 degrees to the vertical.

In cosmology the expansion of spacetime itself allows objects to recede at greater than the speed of light relative to the Earth as long as they are restricted to moving at the speed of light or less locally relative to the the local spacetime. The little light cones on the tilted worldlines indicate the allowed velocities locally in that region. In other words the rules of Special Relativity only apply locally. The expansion of space effectively "carries" objects along with it a bit like a conveyor belt. The red line indicates the path of a photon emitted near the horizon of the visible universe when it first became transparent to light. At that time the universe was about 300,000 years old so it is reasonable to ask why the photon took over 13 billion years to arrive at the Earth. The reason is that the photon, for part of its journey was moving against a flow of spacetime that was moving so fast the photon was actually losing ground and receding from us. Gradually with the passage of time it finds itself in regions of spacetime that are receding from us less rapidly and eventually makes headway to arrive at the Earth having taken the scenic route. If you look carefully and if the diagram has been drawn correctly, you should be able to see that the red worldline is always parallel to the one the edges of a local light cone. The expansion of space during its journey "stretches" the wavelength greatly redshifting it to the microwave wavelength that we see now as the CMBR. The diagram also shows that if the age of the universe is about 13.7 billion years old that the particles furthest away from us that we can actually see are lot further away from us than 13.7 billion light years now. Hope that helps :)

ah yes of course. what i didnt understand is why some of the cones were tilted but theyre like that as viewed from A. Cheers =D

Sorry, just to clarify on that image, the worldlines are moving apart in the past because of cosmic expansion and as we go back in time expansion speeds up so eventually we get a 'turning point' on our light cone where the speed was the same as light and then it goes back to when it exceeded c and goes back to a single point in space and time. I think.

1. What is a spacetime diagram?

A spacetime diagram is a visual representation of the relationship between time and space in the theory of relativity. It is a graph with time represented on the vertical axis and space represented on the horizontal axis, allowing for a visualization of how these two dimensions interact.

2. How do you read a spacetime diagram?

To read a spacetime diagram, you must first understand the scale of each axis. The vertical axis represents time, with each unit representing a specific amount of time, such as seconds or years. The horizontal axis represents space, with each unit representing a specific distance, such as meters or kilometers. Points on the diagram represent events, and lines represent the path of an object moving through spacetime.

3. What is proper time in a spacetime diagram?

Proper time is the time measured by a clock that is stationary in a specific frame of reference. It is the time experienced by an object as it moves through spacetime, and it is often represented by the diagonal line on a spacetime diagram. Proper time is the most fundamental measure of time in the theory of relativity.

4. How is proper time different from coordinate time?

Coordinate time is the time measured by a clock that is moving through spacetime. It is the time measured by an observer in a different frame of reference than the object in question. In contrast, proper time is measured by a clock that is stationary in the same frame of reference as the object. This means that proper time is the most accurate measure of time for an object, while coordinate time can be affected by the relative motion of different frames of reference.

5. Can spacetime diagrams be used to understand time dilation?

Yes, spacetime diagrams are an excellent tool for understanding time dilation. Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary object. This can be seen on a spacetime diagram by looking at the comparison of proper time and coordinate time for the same event. The proper time (measured by the moving object) will always be shorter than the coordinate time (measured by an observer in a different frame of reference), illustrating the effect of time dilation.