• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Spacetime Physics and other books on spec. relativity. Which is the best?

• Thread starter Angelos
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi...

This is my first post on this forum, so I'm sorry if topic like this is already here.

I'm looking for a book on special relativity, from which I will be able to learn it on myself. My knowledge of mathematics ends in Calculus, so I probably wouldn't appreciate tensors etc. I found a book Spactime Phisics, which should use only basics math, but it also should be very extensive. What do you think about this book? Or can you advise me which book(s) I should buy? Thanks...

Answers and Replies

It is good.

I would agree - also you might consider "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Resnick and "Special Relativity" by A.P. French. Wheeler and Taylor is about $50 - you can somethimes get copies of some of the others used - I paid $1.00 for Resnick's book and $9.00 for French's book - look on the internet for used stuff at Amazon and Barns and Noble. Rindler's book "Special Relativity" can also be found used - usually under $10

Last edited:
That's cheap.
Or free - wikipedia.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Old edition has a discussion of rapidity (the Minkowskian analogue of "angle" between two future timelike vectors) and [in some editions] worked solutions to the problems.

New edition has some nice revised discussions of some topics. Unfortunately, the discussion of rapidity was dropped.

I would regard the old 1966 maroon edition with the solutions to be a must-have. The new edition is worth having (as a supplement to the older version) for some of the updated topics.