Spacetime Physics by Edwin F. Taylor and John Archibald Wheeler

In summary, the first edition of Spacetime Physics is a great introduction to special relativity, but the second edition is better because it has more content and the solutions to the exercises are in a typewriter font.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
My vote is for the maroon edition. These will probably crumble into dust eventually, so it would be nice to find a modern alternative. The Geometry of Special Relativity by Tevian Dray perhaps?

I beg your pardon, the... what? edition?
Are you referring to the first edition?

SredniVashtar said:
I beg your pardon, the... what? edition?
Are you referring to the first edition?

Specifically to the first paperback edition with (all!) solutions worked out in the back. This makes the book ideal for self-study. The first edition is preferred because they dumbed down the second edition (no rapidity, for example). The ISBN is 071670336X.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/071670336X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

519KvJJ5HgL._SY346_.jpg

Now I see that the text and solutions are available on E. F. Taylor's website that robphy linked to. That solves the paper rot problem.

Likes 1 person
Daverz, thanks a lot. I had this book in my wishlist but my spider senses were tingling all over the second edition.
I have ordered a used copy of the first edition (august 71 - ouch! it says "new edition") from Amazon.fr (actually, from Nearfine), starting with your link.

As for the link given by robphy, I had downloaded the files weeks ago but, correct me if I am wrong: they are only for chapter 1, right? I take it the book has more than one chapter (as stated on amazon 200 pages plus the 60 plus pages of exercises).

Thanks again for helping me getting rid of 20 bucks. :-)

EDIT: I can no longer find the number of pages. So probably by switching from one amazon to the other I must have messed things up. Oh, well, I guess now I just have to wait and see. At least it will be the first edition.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/071670336X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
SredniVashtar said:
Daverz, thanks a lot. I had this book in my wishlist but my spider senses were tingling all over the second edition.
I have ordered a used copy of the first edition (august 71 - ouch! it says "new edition") from Amazon.fr (actually, from Nearfine), starting with your link.

As for the link given by robphy, I had downloaded the files weeks ago but, correct me if I am wrong: they are only for chapter 1, right? I take it the book has more than one chapter (as stated on amazon 200 pages plus the 60 plus pages of exercises).

You're right, it's just chapter one.

EDIT: I can no longer find the number of pages. So probably by switching from one amazon to the other I must have messed things up. Oh, well, I guess now I just have to wait and see. At least it will be the first edition.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/071670336X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It sometimes happens that sellers list items in the wrong place. If that happens, and they won't give you a refund, file a claim with Amazon.

I wanted to thank you again Daverz, the book has finally arrived and it is indeed the one depicted above. ISBN 0-7167-0336-X.
Let me add some information for other potential buyers out there.
This maroon edition is the first edition: it carries a copyright 1963, 1966 and it has a total of three (3) chapters.

Chapter 1: (pp. 1-60) - The Geometry of Spacetime
This chapter is available online on Edwin Taylor's website - see above for the address.
The exercises for chapter 1 take pages 61-100

Chapter 2: (pp. 101-139) - Momentum and Energy
The exercises for chapter 2 take pages 140-174

Chapter 3: (pp. 175-198) - The Physics of Curved Spacetime

Then there is an index and, starting right after page 208 there are 61 pages with the solutions of the exercises (in a typewriter font).
This first edition spans a total of 270 pages (give or take the covers and preface).
This edition seems to lack all the (subjectively) annoying features that seem to plague (according to some reviewer on Amazon) the second edition. There are no black crows as far as I can tell. :-).
But at the same time (so to speak) also lacks the Q&A that many reviewers found helpful.

All in all I am delighted to have it in my library. So, again thanks for the guidance.

I'm doing a bit of self-studying out of this book over my winter break. Could anyone point me toward a solutions manual for it? All of the odd numbered exercises have answers in the back, but I'd like to have the even answers as well just to verify that I'm working the problems correctly. I've done a fair amount of searching and I've come up empty. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Does anyone know what was added in the 2nd ed that would explain the 50% increase in content over the 1st? The 1st ed has only 208 pages while the 2nd ed has 320!

(Ok, ok 1st ed has 208 + 61 pages of exercise solutions whereas the 2nd ed has 320 pages but no solutions.)

Last edited:
Whoops. I see now that SredniVashtar posted some comments earlier about the differences between the two editions. I have to admit though, after seeing the general preference on these forums for the 1st edition, I was surprised to discover that the 2nd edition has so much additional content (putting aside that the 1st ed has solutions.)

1. What is Spacetime Physics?

Spacetime Physics is a theory that combines the concepts of space and time into a single unified framework. It states that space and time are interconnected and cannot be considered separately, as they are intertwined in a four-dimensional continuum.

2. Who are the authors of "Spacetime Physics" and what are their credentials?

The authors of "Spacetime Physics" are Edwin F. Taylor and John Archibald Wheeler. Taylor was a professor of physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and a researcher at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Wheeler was a renowned physicist and professor at Princeton University, known for his work on general relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some key concepts discussed in "Spacetime Physics"?

Some key concepts discussed in "Spacetime Physics" include the equivalence principle, the distortion of spacetime by massive objects, the concept of simultaneity, the relativity of time and space, and the speed of light as a fundamental constant.

4. Why is "Spacetime Physics" important in the study of physics?

"Spacetime Physics" is important in the study of physics because it provides a fundamental understanding of the relationship between space and time. It also serves as the basis for the theory of general relativity, which has been verified through numerous experiments and is crucial for our understanding of the universe.

5. Is "Spacetime Physics" accessible to non-scientists?

While "Spacetime Physics" is a complex and advanced theory, the book is written in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to non-scientists. However, a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is recommended to fully grasp the concepts presented in the book.